A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

You have a pledge from me as well :)

I've gotta say, this is really fantastic to see. It's great to see that SFGHQ is actually helping people springboard their gaming careers. All the best to you Strife!

I also wrote a little piece about the game here as well: http://www.segadriven.com/2013/01/sonicgunstar-heroes-inspired-freedom-planet-seeking-funding/

I just got back from a game jam in Denmark so I haven't been able to check some of my regular websites, but, thank you everyone... really. It means so much to me that so many of the regulars here have supported this project since its inception, and that you're willing to pitch in what you can to help make us successful.

Rest assured, with all of this extra money coming our way, I'll have the resources necessary to make it stand out even more as its own thing. I'll be able to afford a ton of different exporting options, more artwork, animated cutscenes, a possible webcomic miniseries, and I am also considering hiring a fellow MMF2 developer to help share the workload. Afterall, in spite of all of the extra stuff I want to add, I'm still the only member of the team that's physically building the game, so if I don't get help in that area, it might actually extend the release date. <.<;; Given the game's recent success though, I'm pretty sure I'd get a few interested folks if I posted an ad on the Clickteam forums or TIGSource or... here or Retro?

But again, my thanks goes out to all of you. <3 You guys rock.

I have a question for you Strife. I've often thought about doing exactly what you have done and create a commercial game on top of Sonic Dash which is the GM equivalent of Worlds made by Damizean. What always stopped me was the fact that I didn't make the engine. Have you thought of this? Have you already talked to Dami? I PM'd him to see where he stands on this but I haven't heard back.

I think the last I heard of Dami was when I originally sought his permission to include him in the credits and such. Given that he's one of the founding fathers of the engine and likely knows it inside and out, though, he could definitely be of assistance and seems like the kind of person I can trust completely with the game's .mfa file.

I don't know if I should name names just yet, but there are a couple other people on this forum that I would love to commission because of their dedicated work ethic and their ability to come up with great gimmicks and gameplay elements. I might message them later and see if they're interested.

I have some programming skills, but I admit I'm rusty. I was practicing with Construct 1 and 2 since last year, but I didn't get far. My skills are more along the lines of C++ and Java, but I could adapt to MMF2 if I'm one of those people you're thinking about. It would be a nice way to get back in the game. :)

What I'm more worried about is making a new engine, though. It's not that Sonic Worlds is bad or anything, but something tells me that going fully commercial without a personal engine is gonna cause a lot of trouble down the line. Imagine, engine limits spoiling several of the features promised for the future of Freedom Planet.

Seriously, plenty of the glitches I found were because I tested those limits and I'm worried about that bringing down the whole thing because Sonic Worlds hasn't been fully understood. If Strife can't explain why some of the features worked out that way, what would that say about the integrity of the game as a whole? Things like the joypad support, for instance... would we really have to say Freedom Planet just has little help on that end? That just can't go on.

I feel that I should be realistic about what I am capable of achieving, and for that reason, I don't want to promise something and set it as a stretch goal if I'm not completely confident that it can be done. So, for our next stretch goal, I decided to go with something fun and silly instead of another development milestone.

Besides, as our funding continues to climb, the quality of our animation and artwork will increase, so there's still an incentive for others to pledge. And, of course, there's also the $10 thing that's basically a preorder of the game.

I like that $20k stretch goal you have set up. Still can't contribute quite yet, but I will throw in at least $30.

Any updates on how close you are into breaking into the top 100? Personally I find Steam Greenlight to be a bullshit system, so I'm hoping you an get past the general greenlight audience of people who vote for the usual greenlight crap.

It would be nice if those Greenlight haters stopped that. I think they're hating just to counter the overwhelming praise or something like that. Hopefully Freedom Planet will get past that kind of crowd.

But say, regarding that goal, would the playthrough videos be anything

Let's pick out some gems from the totally awesome people commenting on Steam Greenlight

Oh man, look at this obviously not a clone of any game whatsoever. This game is totally original and is not a clone/hack of anything at all. This game is the most original game ever.

PS: Go fuck yourself.

Furry Yaoi pedo shit.

(these were both the same person)

This is the worst game I've seen on greenlight so far, with a target audience only of fat neckbeard furries. Horrible gameplay that tries to be unique even thought it also tries to copy the old-school charm of the old sonic games. I doubt it'll sell well if it gets greenlight since only loser nostalgia-whore furries will buy this.

It's like some sonic-fanboy from deviantart got to make his own game, awful.

(the last part is true :(<)

this like the game sonic. i don't like these dot games

:squestion:

Ha ha ha if Deviantart made a game, this would be it. The only thing it's missing is inflation.

Downvoted.

The trailer mentioned "charming characters" so it pretty much told us that it's like the sonic fanbase of DeviantArt. Crappy fan characters, all female of course. almost like a sonic fanfiction. Infact, that's what the game is. I mean, give me a break here. Lyra the dragongirl? Are you serious?

Aside from the absurd storyline, graphics, idea behind the game, the fact that it takes 10 hours to make a game similiar like this, is flat-out eye-candy to sonicf*gs.

the game is unoriginal and terrible.

Just another retro-style game. There's over a million of them. It probably runs on Unity too. It's like a Super Mario World rom-hack. (google it.) It features the exact same style that many rom-hacks has. All the "unique" things about it has been done a million times by other 100% similar game that's not spewed out by DeviantArt sonic fanboys.

.the game is just a ripoff of every other game that there is. Even Treyarch is more original then the makers of this game. Bad game.

yuck sonic

VgEjf82.gif

Just checked Greenlight and Freedom Planet is in the top 100 now. I'm not sure what that actually amounts to in the long run (once again, I repeat that greenlight is a bullshit process) but at least it means the like is outweighing the dislike.

So I signed in to first congratulate you Strife on all your accomplishments so far but also to tell you to ignore the haters. youre definitely heading in a good direction with this and I will surely be donating to this game when I have the funds...Side note: Sooo you ever plan on going back to finish up Spectrum Chase?

EDIT: Forgot to ask, I've been a Sonic fan since like day one and I'd just like to know since when did it become cool to look down upon sonic and the community and call sonic fans furries and stuff?

sweet rage

It was almost starting to get a bit creepy without the blind hatred...but now that they've arrived Freedom Planet is finally 100% legit.

It's impossible for this to not be a success now with the internet bestowing its blessing of hatred upon you. Go forth strife FULFILL YOUR DESTINY

Seraphim - I am actually starting to believe the notion of "There's no such thing as bad publicity." Matter of fact, I wouldn't doubt it if the "debate" going on between fans and haters is actually helping us reach more people, because not only do you have fans spreading the word to come check out how cool the game is, but you also have haters and trolls spreading the word to come check out how awful it is. So, yay? xD

AldenT - I'd imagine it being something like Two Best Friends or Game Grumps where a group of us commentate on the game live, but it depends on whether or not we can setup a decent stream.

Ila - What, we made it? Really? It shows me that we're only at 70% in the admin panel... But, awesome! :D

Even though we've reached the top 100, I still think we have a lot of work to do, because there are 99 other games that Steam is more likely to Greenlight. If we can get into the top 50, at least, I think that would secure us a solid chance. Unfortunately there's no way yet to see where we stand, so we'll just have to hope and keep spreading the word.

Hmm, it might be an error on Steam's part Strife. It tells me your in the top 100 when I check my vote log, but it's also telling me that for everything that I voted for now. Once again, I detest Greenlight.

Edit: added a screenshot of Steam telling me this is Top 100.

post-7-138639765376_thumb.jpg

Haters gonna hate.

I find it hilarious. I'd like to see one of these "pros" to make something better in "10 hours". They're probably all testosterone-overdosed generic shooter asshats.

Anyway Strife, I'll back you with a $20 at least (whee soundtrack) as soon as I can. Will there be a non-steam option for playing? As I said previously, I'm not the biggest fan of Steam (neither greenlight, as ila puts it: a bullshit system).

Scratch that, I need to read better.

...we'll give you the PC version for free once it's released. You will also receive a free Steam key if we are Greenlit! (Includes the Demo Pack)

So... I guess there is. Phew.

Hmm, it might be an error on Steam's part Strife. It tells me your in the top 100 when I check my vote log, but it's also telling me that for everything that I voted for now. Once again, I detest Greenlight.
Right, so I'm not the only one who is suspicious that this isn't being totally truthful.

I mean, I'm tempted to find a Greenlight title getting the worst feedback possible, upvote it, and see if it still claims it's got top 100 status... but that'd mean upvoting some sort of utter garbage, blegh.