A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

Jet - Indeed, she's a hedgehog. ^_^ According to her author, those two long strands of hair are actually her bottom quills, so I figured they'd be hard enough to attack enemies with.

Kess - Thanks Kess! =D Even small compliments like that keep me going.

Breakable rocks! Why didn't I think of that earlier? xD Thanks for the suggestion. ^_^

Chaos Fusion - Thanks! ^_^

FGR - I'm totally going to make one of the villains spurt that at her as an insult. xD Provided that dialog exists in the game, of course. I haven't figured out yet if it will be possible for me to convey the story using just actions, but I will try to put off writing dialog for as long as possible. (I've learned that you're far less likely to write yourself into a corner if you plot out actions first before you write dialog for those actions.)

As for the hair, yeah, I do agree that the shading makes her hair look a bit slimey. I'll have to figure out how to redo it without making it look like pillow shading. xD;

Anyway, I've spent the past couple of days sketching out character designs. Boy howdy, Sonic-styled characters are a whole new kettle of fish for me. It's surprisingly difficult to come up with captivating designs that don't look like ripoffs of official characters. xD My main villain was easy because he's humanoid, which is what I'm used to working with.

sltest.png

Both Lilac and her life icon blinked at the same time. xD What are the odds?

Anyway, I can't decide if this cursive font is too stylish to read. Does it look alright? I'm also planning to add the game's logo to the bottom of the banner when I come up with one.

I've got the Game Over and Act Clear sequences finished, and I think I've pretty much tweaked everything necessary in the base engine. I'm still a bit nervous about going ahead and adding more frames, though, because if I make any future changes, I have to copy-paste them in every frame. Not much I can do to change how MMF2 works, so I might as well just go for it.

Here's a tip for any of you guys using the Sonic Worlds engine: If you want to modify an active object so that the changes are applied to every single frame, be sure to set the object to Global before you edit it, and then switch it back to local when you're done. It saves a lot of time. There is, of course, a drawback: If you forget to do this and modify the object locally, this trick won't work anymore for that particular instance of the object. Best you can do is try and set off an alarm in your head to always globalize before you edit. So always globalize before you edit, Strife.

That being said, I believe I have enough content to upload a gameplay video soon. :3 I shall keep you posted.

[qimg]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6954/sashlilac.png[/qimg]

In case y'all are wondering what she's supposed to look like up close.

Her hand looks weird as hell. The index finger is bigger than the middle finger and her thumb looks bigger than should really be. If you look for yourself, you'll see that your thumbs just go 'till that "line" where ends the "hand" and start the fingers.

Her right arm (On the left) looks a lil' bit more fat than the other one. May be the perspective, but I dunno.

The shading also looks a little messed up on the head, having darker shadows than in her body (which has the same color).

Anyways, sorry for the crticism on the draw, I'd just saw the problems and couldn't ignore. Hahah

Anyways, looking good as hell, Strife. The whole project... You know... I'm not gay for many people, but...

Just kidding. Or not. May be. Perhaps. Nah. Who knows?

Not sure I like the sheet of ice/crystal in the title card. This might be the lack of text or the fact it appears over the HUD. Maybe you should make the HUD appear after the title card as disappeared. I'd like to see it with text first though.

Also, I like the existing title card text, although I would recommend making it all one font. I think I prefer the styling on the Act I text better than the stage name text. Use that for both.

Sonicyoda - Yeah, those are both good points. I'll try hiding the HUD and see how that goes. :3 And I do agree that the Act I font looks better, so I can change that.

Pedro - ^_^ <3

Thanks for the feedback on the pixel art. I'm gonna make similar drawings of the other characters, so it helps to know where to improve.

I just realized that I've forgotten to give Lilac a super form, and I still need to rework some of the items and powerups, so I shall hold off on Act 2 for now. As far as the super form goes, I have two ideas:

- The player would need a full stock of rings to activate it (which is currently 20). Once activated, they have unlimited energy and can reach maximum speed without needing slopes for momentum. Aside from this, the form has no special abilities or invulnerability. The player loses their super form if they are attacked 3 times in quick succession or lose all of their rings.

- The player would need a full energy meter to activate it. Once activated, they can boost as often as they want without any energy cost. The energy meter will slowly drain, and the player reverts back once it's depleted. They can, however, keep their energy up by collecting crystals and building momentum as usual.

Essentially, it's a matter of which resource the super form would be dependent on: rings or energy. There's also the matter of how this super form would be acquired, but I can worry about that later.

spadew.png

Spade the Cavy. He'll either be an anti-hero fighting against the main villain or one of his strongest mercenaries, but either way, he's Sash Lilac's rival. He'd attack using a deck of playing cards, which provide different effects depending on how the suits are combined.

Are the sprites big enough for the player to tell what kind of card it is in-game?

I'll probably have a special HUD that appears during the boss fight, or just have the card display a large icon when it strikes/is about to strike.

Blazefire - Thanks! ^_^ I took Sonicyoda's suggestion and made the HUD invisible until the title card disappears, and made both the title and subtitle the same font.

Hybrid - Thanks so much. <3 I'm sure you could make good pixels as well if you worked at it. One of the best tricks is to just keep practicing, and use references if you're not sure how to draw something in particular.

[qimg]http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8004/spadew.png[/qimg]

Spade the Cavy. He'll either be an anti-hero fighting against the main villain or one of his strongest mercenaries, but either way, he's Sash Lilac's rival. He'd attack using a deck of playing cards, which provide different effects depending on how the suits are combined.

This one?... Fucking nail'd it, bro. Congrats. I'm happy that my feedback helped... This one? No errors at all,

I dunno why but he kinda gives me that feel of a cowboy... Anyways, nice work, man. <3

[qimg]http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8004/spadew.png[/qimg]

Quite reminds me of Gambit from X-Men for the card thing. :3

I suppose he also feeds a secret love for Sash.

I love everything you make, Strife.

Pedro - Thanks! ^_^ Now I just gotta nail it with all the other characters so I can make some attractive (fake) boxart.

Hybrid - Okay, that makes more sense. ^^ If all else fails, you could scan your drawings and trace over them, like I do with some of my larger character art.

LH - Thanks. =D

FGR - I think the question is, will he know when to fold 'em? ;D

sltest.png

This isn't an actual boss - just a larger and more complex badnik. Its main purpose is to test the player's understanding of Sash's melee attacks.

Trigonometry is fun. <3 And if you understand the basic idea behind it, you can do some pretty cool things that are actually quite simple. For simplicity's sake, each leg segment on this spider is its own unique object (12 objects in total), so I simply snap each successive segment to the previous one's action point, then set their angle based on the current movement step (out of 360). After about an hour of tweaking, I've got myself a pretty convincing climbing animation.

Thanks. ^_^

I'm not exactly sure if this is worth making a topic in General Discussion for, so I'll just post it here since it's the thread I update the most. My wife and I just recently finished moving into a new apartment home, and it's really important that we both find jobs as soon as possible. My projects will prove to be a risky distraction unless I refrain from using the computer completely, so I will have to go on a complete hiatus for a few weeks starting on Sunday. I'll still be able to browse and post messages, but I just won't be able to work on Freedom Planet aside from drawing out concept ideas in my sketchbook (which may help me save time anyway once I can work on it again, since I'll have a lot of things planned out).