A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What games are you currently playing?

Welp the Steam Summer Sale hit and I've been busy buying a lot. But here's a rundown of my loot that I've been playing the most.

Cthulhu Saves the World

Its a retro 16 bit RPG game but with a twist. You get to play as a powered down Elder God who wants his powers back but overhearing the narrator (yes I'm not making this shit up) he decides to become a hero just to get his powers back. This game reminds me so much of Earthbound and I really love it considering I'm not a big fan of classic RPGs. The game throws lampshades everywhere and parodys every RPG trope they can their hands on. Its quite a hilarious journey. Oh and I should mention the case is pretty colorful if not ragtaggy as the first few party members that join Cthulhu is a groupie, a sentient sword, and a goth girl. And they seem normal compared to the next couple party members too. But I really love it. I do need to level grind a bit since everything is hard all of a sudden and it feels like every encounter is a boss battle. But its a good game regardless.

Poker Night 2

Well I love poker but I'm terrible at it. I did learn quite a bit of poker from playing this game so that's something. They brought in the most random bunch of characters this time around (Ash Williams from Evil Dead/Army of Darkness WTF? Not that I'm complaining) and it works and brings varity to the table. There's a lot of humor in the game which I love and its poker what's not to love? But for some reason Ash seems to be one of the first few to get busted though. Weird. Oh well.

Melty Blood

I love fighting games no doubt and this one is a pretty fun one. Sure I don't have the translation patch but its still cool enough. Its faster than BlazBlue which is cool and I do feel like some of these characters inspired some moves and characters in BlazBlue but I don't feel like going in-depth. These characters are pretty awesome regardless. Hell if it weren't for Darkstalkers being around I'd say some of these characters are the most hilarious fighting game characters around, namely Mech-Hisui and the Nekos. The soundtrack is pretty catchy too I will add which is a good bonus I suppose. But my biggest gripe is really the controls which cramps up fingers and you can't reconfigure the keys either without some kind of program. But still either way I'm loving it.

Team Fortress 2

You all should know about this game. The reason why I've gotten back into it is the new item patches and I've been getting newer items lately. I will admit I'm loving my scout loadout right now.

2013-07-18_00001_zpsca733138.jpg

I've been meaning to name the hat he's using "Eddie the Hair" as an Iron Maiden reference. I do wish I could have more Misc slots because I hate Scout's shoes. I also love my current Spy loadout too but I forgot to screencap that too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since there are a couple classic sonic games I haven't played, I recently thought it would be fun to start over at the first game and work my way up through all the Sonic games. So Im on the Stardust Zone level in Sonic the hedgehog. (It has my favorite Classic Sonic song  :wub: ).

I'm also trying to play the first Nights into Dreams, but i'm having a tough time understanding the goal of the game. Like what Nights is suppose to accomplish and what the controls are for. WHY ARE YOU FLYING IN CIRCLES NIGHTS?!?!?!? WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE!!!! :o  :blink:  I'm sure after I read more about the game online I'm going to feel like an idiot for not understanding the game sooner. I'm not gonna give up on it though, because I absolutely love the music for the Nights Series.

Other than that I am going to battle Iris for the second time in Pokemon White 2, thus finishing the game (I like to draw out pokemon games for a long time since they don't come out as often as other games.) Im also finishing the Black and White Pokemon Mystery dungeon.

Edited by Neon the Hedgehog

Other than that I am going to battle Iris for the second time in Pokemon White 2, thus finishing the game (I like to draw out pokemon games for a long time since they don't come out as often as other games.) Im also finishing the Black and White Pokemon Mystery dungeon.

I never thought about doing that. I usually level grind to 60 and finish the game. Might do it with X and Y though.

Iv'e been playing Mutant Mudds lately. I unlocked Granny and finally got all the Granny level medals. Now I'm just restarting the entire game with Granny.

• Like 1

I never thought about doing that. I usually level grind to 60 and finish the game. Might do it with X and Y though.

My method for pokemon might not be the best. Its usually good to get games done fast so that you don't lose interest. The only good thing that can come out of drawing out a pokemon is being able to use special pokemon that are given out through the mystery gift way after the games come out. 

• Like 1

A trick I found to work is to look up what the highest level pokemon a gym leader or elite four member has. If you train your pokemon until they are at the same level, you wont get into too much problems. With the elite four, training your pokemon goes alot faster if you train in an area with the highest level wild pokemon. This method of training used to take me forever to get my pokemon to a high level. Until Pokemon Black and White 2 made the Tree Hollow and Black tower (found in the black city or white forest). These places makes training pokemon much easier because you can go through levels while battling strong trainers that will bump up your pokemon's levels quickly while you feel like your acheiving a goal. I hope there is something similar in pokemon X and Y.

Oh, I forgot to mention before that I am also starting to play the megaman games. I really liked the Archie megaman comics so I thought it would be cool to try out the games. Its going much better for me than the Nights games are, "Nights, why is the dream world so trippy? Oh no, not another tree!" (Smash)  :blink:

To be honest? Nothing much!

I've fallen out of gaming a bit recently, with not enough time to make music as it is. Still, I've been playing a few, although none are anything extravagant or special and something you'd go "OH COOL I WISH I COULD PLAY THAT".

Super Mario Bros.

Yes, I've been playing it. After so many years, I've managed to beat it in one sitting without savestates or game overs!

Super Mario Bros. 3

After so long, I've played it again. Opinions? Well... It's certainly fun, but something feels... lacking. I don't know - maybe it's because it's the same levels I've played a gazillion times, while having (in my opinion) not much of the charm that Super Mario Bros has?

Freedom Planet

Call me as trying to get into Strife's pants- er, I mean, good kid list, but I don't care. In the end, it's a really fun game with nice concepts, levels, art, design and music! It's saying something if the only thing I'm bugged about so far is how the female characters were used in the Kickstarter page as a selling point, as well as the hypocrisy of "letting the game say for itself" while having an (again, in my opinion) boring infoblurb about why you should buy the game in the Kickstarter trailer.

Sonic Advance 2

I'll be honest, I tried it again just for the homing attack. Again, though... Something about the levels feel... boring. Maybe I've played through it quite a few times... I don't know.

Other (fan)games include Pokemon Obsidian, Sonic After the Sequel and countless Mario fangames.

I'm still playing Animal Crossing New Leaf. And a little Earthbound from time to time thanks for the VC Wii U release.

Ever since a break-up a few months ago I've just had issue enjoying anything otherwise I'd be playing a ton more. Ah well.

Le Darn it all. I want to play New Leaf so bad but I'm doing a One Game per month thing and I just got Shante GBC .

Majora's Mask (Still because of the Great Bay Temple -___-)
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time (I'm way into Zelda games x3)
Mario 64
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Crystal
Pokemon Ruby
Sonic Riders(Don't know why people hate it, but I like it and I find it replayable)
Crash 2(100% run)
Crash Team Racing(101% run)

I have too many games on my list for this month. >_<

Edited by BlurProdOG

• 4 weeks later...

Currently tackling Shenmue and Evolution: The World Of Sacred Device to celebrate the Dreamcast being 14, both for the first time.

Shenmue I didn't get very far in...controlling a 3D character with a D-Pad is awkward. I'll have to give it a better go later. Evolution: TWoSD I'm just starting as I type this, though I put a lot of time into the sequel as a kid, so this should be...interesting.

Well I got a shit ton of games over the course of last week.

Guacamelee is a fun Metroidvania that's also more combat oriented than its predecessors since your playing as a Lucador. Its fun and its quite clever at times. I really like its sense of humor too. But that's that.

Vampire the Masquerade, specifically Bloodlines is that one game Crow was late to the party to like always. It mixes so many genres together, specifically RPG and FPS mostly, and its very good. It has an interesting take on vampires too. But sadly it needs to be patched up and even then it can be somewhat buggy. Its still worth it though.

Another game I was late on is The Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners which is a retelling of The Shadow of Innsmouth which has hardly anything to do with Cthulhu himself but I digress. So like the former I mentioned its a survival horror FPS but I don't think there's any guns in this game in last minute because I've been running from everything. And it does feel like it took elements from Eternal Darkness but hell I've been enjoying it.

And other than Touhou games I've been replaying I have been playing through Tales of Xillia since I got that New Game Plus. I'm breaking this game like glass in front of a cannon. I swear the bonuses you get for a New Game Plus are too ridiculous. I went from Level 2 all the way to Level 11 from the first boss alone. I needed it though since I'm playing on the hardest difficulty. So yah.

Boy oh boy is my list big since I got a PS3.

PC

Assassin's creed 

Assassin's creed 2

Assassin's creed brotherhood

Assassin's creed Revelations

Assassin's creed 3

Bleed

PS3-

God of war HD 

God of war 2 HD 

God of war: chains of Olympus HD

God of war 3 (Beat)

God of war: Ghost of Sparta HD 

God of war: Ascension 

Kingdom hearts Final Mix HD

Kingdom hearts Re:chain of memories HD

Kingdom hearts 358/2 days (Technically a movie rather then game, but is in kingdom hearts 1.5 REmix so I may as well count it)

Blazblue: Colamity trigger

Blazblue: Continuum shift EXTEND

And that's about it for now. Next batch will probably be sonic lost world 3DS, Pokemon Y, and Fable anniversary.