A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Retro-Sonic: Let's Get it On

Ok, it's been a long time between drinks... but the Retro-Sonic website has finally been updated/redesigned with new info and screens

http://rsonic.randomsonicnet.org

Big News? Retro-Sonic's engine is pretty close to completion, I've finally started doing the levels again... and Retro-Sonic has been successfully ported to Dreamcast! Not only that, but a LOT of the hype/excitement surrounding ProSonic exists right here, right now in Retro-Sonic (namely, scriptable objects/gameplay, Megadrive Style Gameplay, Level Importing and Parallax Effects with enhancements)

So yeah... have a look and tell me what you think :)

EDIT:

P.P.S. Here's the Dreamcast Proof of Concept Build!! It's not perfect, but it's quite groovy, the levels are ordered in terms of completion... so expect the gameplay to get very beta-esque as you go on lol

Here's the Link (Thanks Damizean Again! :D)

It's a Self Booting Nero Image, so burn and play

Release it or people will kill you :D Uber awesome stuff you got there, my friend! Utra smooth and solid, seems smoother than the original engine from the Megadrive to me, and sure the Dreamcast port looks sexy! I can't wait to port it to other systems :) (If you let me)

Guest Shadix

Last time you waited a month you missed your release window and we had to wait for the good majority of a year because you didn't have time to work on it anymore.

I'd say try to release at SAGE if you can, a little less than a month (assuming it's still targeted for the first week in august), but don't try cramming in too much stuff. People will be happy with you releasing next to nothing as long as it's been. :D

i dont get it... what is porting?
In computer science, porting is the process of adapting software so that an executable program can be created for a different computing environment (e.g., different CPU, operating system, or third party library) to the ones it currently runs on. The term is also used in a generic way to refer to the changing of software/hardware to make them usable in a different environment.

He "ported" it to the Dreamcast - in other words, he took the code that ran on the PC, and he made it work on the Dreamcast. That is porting.

Guest Shadix

No, Blaze is not part of the game dev. team. If you had read his earlier post you would've realized that he is itching for the game to come out as much as the rest of us.

Tax has got alot of work as it is, and it is up to him to decide what he wants to port it to.

It's my birthday too, what a coincidence, but enough talk, release this immidiately!

In other words, this looks very promising. I've always like the Retro Sonic feel.

<Edit>It's not really my birthday, but thanks anyway Damizean</Edit>

I've been looking forward to this for a while. Can't wait for the new demo.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

I have a complaint about a certain background:

VolcanicTower02.PNG

Personally, I think the red (orange?) and blue clashes with the rest of the stage. Does anyone else agree?

The screenshot above it on your site is kickass, though. Great job with that one.

Once again, looking forward to a demo.

I'll be happy to help with the Mac OS X conversion. I have SDL all set up in Xcode, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The editor might be more of a problem, that is if it's not written in C++/SDL. Although, I have been fooling around with Cocoa/Objective C, so I might be able to make an okay port.

I've been looking forward to this for a while. Can't wait for the new demo.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

I have a complaint about a certain background:

[qimg]http://rsonic.randomsonicnet.org/Game_Images/VolcanicTower02.PNG[/qimg]

Personally, I think the red (orange?) and blue clashes with the rest of the stage. Does anyone else agree?

The screenshot above it on your site is kickass, though. Great job with that one.

Once again, looking forward to a demo.

Orange and blue are my school colours.

And orange is my favorite color and blue is my boyfriends.