A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Drawing Your On Sprites, And Frame Timing

I'm planning on drawing some sprites for a ne fan-game concept i have, i got some skecthes prepared already and am about to transfer them over to digital ink (so-to-speak)

I have two questions that i need advice on

1. What programs would be the best to do this in, detail bieng key (or is MS paint sufficient?)

2. how many frames per action do i need (i noticed with sonic sprites it's usually 4, then the first 3 added on in revese order to make a full flowing action, so it goes 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1.)

And and all advice / guidance is very much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

The easiest way to start doing this since it doesn't sound like you have to much experience would be to look at sprite sheets and base your frames off that.

[qimg]http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/sprites_2007_Damien/SONIC_archives/Sonic_1rip_Gibbo.gif[/qimg]

Not a lot of experience in spriting yeah, but i can draw so that's a plus, ok cool, thanks.

1. I prefer MS Paint, however if you're working from sketches a program with layer support might be of benefit.

2. Frames per action depends on how smooth you want your sprites to animate, 6-8 is ideal for a Sonic walking animation, however the last few frames are not repeats like you said, look closer, they swap the left or right leg/arm movement between forwards and backwards creating much more believable movement. If you were to simply re-order the original four frames it would look very jerky and backwards.

Creating good sprite animation is very difficult, I definitely recommended what Overbound said and look closey at similar sprites to your own at see how they've been animated. Heck, even breaking down other sprites to a skeletal structure and working over that is a good way to get started.

• 3 weeks later...