A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Why and how did we start making fangames?

Delta Hedgehog

As a kid I always wanted to work in comics or games. Spare time I had would include producing a comic inspired by Sonic, DBZ, and Final Fantasy. Eventually I found RPG Maker (it took like 3 hours to download), and after practicing with it I decided to make a version of my story in the program.

After finishing about 50% of the game, my computer broke and I couldn't get my game to work again. I eventually got a new one, and I also found Game Maker from a link on an RPGM resource site.

I was inspired to start fangaming by a game called Sonic Battle 2; a project made by Sonic Stadium's defunct Shadow Team group. Sonic Knockout was heavily inspired by the game. Just after I finished it, I gained interest in Sonic Adventure: Remix, an ambitious attempt at remaking SA1 in 2D. It fell flat after a year or so but I stayed with the dev team (SCDTi) because I could help get it back on its feet.

Now I lead the team along with AeroGP. Couldn't ask for a more enjoyable hobby involving staying indoors.

First fangame i played was the original Sonic Robo Blast back in '01. Made a couple of pointless Kilk and Play games then started using Games Factory after playing one of the early Time Attacked demos.

Think I took part in 3 or 4 SAGEs, probably won't enter again, lets just say my creations don't quite live up to modern expectations :P

EDIT: FFFFF- Thirdscape! Thanks for mentioning that Andrew. I've always thought that the story would fit well into the modern 3D Sonic era, least a damn sight more than S2K6...

@the topic starter: Thank you for playing ET: CF. ;-; It makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

I was a real n00b when I first came here. I had my stuff planned out already...I was gonna make a trilogy called Sonic Rush (lol).

In the conclusion of my first post, I asked, "By the way, where do I get MMF?"

Obviously I didn't go down the game creation path. I did, however, take the path of pixelart, which was a long and arduous route in itself. I can't believe it's been eight years since I started making sprites.

List of fangaming influences:

Aytac's stuff

When Tails Gets Bored

Sonic Mega Adventure (or something, it was a terrible game, but it had this one room with a crapload of Rings. I got a real kick out of that for some reason)

Sonic Robo Blast 2

Jamie Bailey's stuff (gee, where is that guy, I wonder.)

TGF Team stuff (specifically, Sonic 2099)

Red XVI's stuff

and I probably missed some. Today, I am the spriter/general graphics artist for Emerald Ties: Crossing Fates.

In the 5th or 6th grade me and my "friends" decided we'd make our own Sonic game. After I ditched those assholes I decided to continue on trying to make a game myself and I ended up stumbling upon Sonic Robo-Blast (the first one) here at SFGHQ. People were claiming it was the current high-water mark for Sonic fangames. I was unimpressed, and with a "Well, jeeze, I could do better than that!" attitude, I began looking in to how to make games using Click N' Create and coming up with an idea that would prove more successful.

In the 5th or 6th grade me and my "friends" decided we'd make our own Sonic game. After I ditched those assholes I decided to continue on trying to make a game myself and I ended up stumbling upon Sonic Robo-Blast (the first one) here at SFGHQ. People were claiming it was the current high-water mark for Sonic fangames. I was unimpressed, and with a "Well, jeeze, I could do better than that!" attitude, I began looking in to how to make games using Click N' Create and coming up with an idea that would prove more successful.

And then... TEXT BOX. And now it's 2010. :P

I started designing a Sonic fangame years before I ever even knew what a fangame was.

When I was little, I had one of those mini TY beanie babies from McDonalds, and pretend it was Sonic. I'd take "Sonic" and have him run around on the shelves, tables, mantle...everything. Sometimes I'd even make up my own level music on the fly, "Doo Doo Dee Dee"-ing to myself some improvised tune. When I wasn't satisfied with the levels provided by my family's furniture, I'd make crude drawings of my levels.

Years later, I purchased one of those "Game Design with no Programming Required" books that come with a CD at Borders and discovered The Games Factory.

I made a couple of different little mini-projects to get comfortable with the software before I realized that maybe this was the chance to revisit my childhood fascination.

In a hunt for Sonic game resources, I stumbled upon the website (not the fourm, surprisingly) and it all went downhill from there.

I started designing a Sonic fangame years before I ever even knew what a fangame was.

When I was little' date=' I had one of those mini TY beanie babies from McDonalds, and pretend it was Sonic. I'd take "Sonic" and have him run around on the shelves, tables, mantle...everything. Sometimes I'd even make up my own level music on the fly, "Doo Doo Dee Dee"-ing to myself some improvised tune. When I wasn't satisfied with the levels provided by my family's furniture, I'd make crude drawings of my levels.

Years later, I purchased one of those "Game Design with no Programming Required" books that come with a CD at Borders and discovered The Games Factory.

I made a couple of different little mini-projects to get comfortable with the software before I realized that maybe this was the chance to revisit my childhood fascination.

In a hunt for Sonic game resources, I stumbled upon the website (not the fourm, surprisingly) and it all went downhill from there.[/quote']

this was me, except i had no sonic toys as a child, so it was hotwheels cars and especially lego guys (since i can tear them apart). If all else failed, i'd use my fingers as legs. When my mom cooked, it was extra fun, because then i'd have boiling acid or lava (spaghetti), which fit even more because before sonic, it was definitely Mario i was crazy about.

my siblings used to laugh at my old drawings because they'd say there would be a whole movie on one page. It's because i would draw something and then continue to draw the actions they would go through, like a videogame level or something. Its funny, to this day i can pull up an old drawing from like 10 years ago and still know all the events.

I wanted to make Sonic Technotic, a fangame that would've had some smooth, cool levels with remixed and original techno music for the bgm...

Then I realized that the project wasn't worth it. Couldn't code. One of my buddies was busy with a Mega Man fangame, and there was LITTLE communication. Conceived, but never born.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always loved sonic. Period. Solid platforming awesomeness.

However, when I found out that the folks and SonicRetro were hacking the roms and making cool hacks of the originals I thought: "Hey! I can do that!!!"

Then I learned about ASM and how piss hard it is. Soon I lost hope of ever learning ASM and decided to take a new route. I had heard of something called "Sonic Worlds" back on Retro.

And now I'm here......