A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Why and how did we start making fangames?

Delta Hedgehog

1-Bought a Brazilian gaming magazine that came with assorted minigames in a CD, most of them in flash. Nothing special.

2-Bought another of these. And it came with Ultimate Sonichaos. Oh, fuck yes.

3-http://www.gibconnect.com/~skye/aksu/mgx/ , this section in particular was the catalyst.

4-Got ideas

5-After using demo versions for a while (psst, back then I would reinstall windows many, many times), I bought MMF2 and got it sent all the way down here. Took a while, but the shipping price was really low, whee.

6-Scrapped 9 engines for my current project <3 (most were only pen-on-paper concepts with minimal implementation in MMF2 thankfully. Trust me, pen-on-paper helps a whole fucking lot).

I don't work on games only, though. I made some projects for personal use, and some small tools to help colleagues perform certain tasks (help destroying viruses on USB drives, mainly).

And I stay around here because it's the only "Sonic" community I like. There's actual variety in discussions, interesting debates, I learned tons of stuff. oh yeah, I also need to add new tweaks to the overall look, heheh

I found some of Aytac's stuff way back when and decided it'd be a fun hobby.

I bet many others also had Aytaç as their main reason. I still have all his complete games, I never found a working link for his demos of the now canceled ones.

SAGE 2008 coverage, Slingerland pointing me here, and I wanted to make a cool game like Sonic Nexus.

Unfortunately I really don't have shit all to really show, and what progress I do make is always around SAGE time haha. At this rate I'll be done by SAGE 2020.

I found some of Aytac's stuff way back when and decided it'd be a fun hobby.

I've always wanted to know how to make video games since I was little and didn't even know what a programing language was. So then I found the original SRB and fell in love that and started to figure how everyone was doing it. Anyway I had a friend over for a week in the summer once and we worked with an old copy of TGF pretty soon after that we found GameMaker 3.3 and decided we liked that a little better. Now years and games later here I am.

Got bored and started looking up random crap, got klick & play and failed. I came here then got a demo to mmf1 and started making whirlwind under the name sonic ligthspeed whirlwind because i wanted to make sonic 1 based game, paid for rpgmaker XP then sonic worlds came out so i paid for mmf2. soon got rpgmaker vx to make a sonic rpg game but started a rpg based of a comic I started named Deathwish. after 7 or so years im still a failure...

Man, do you guys remember @leX's "Neo Sonic Universe?" That game inspired me way back when I was a freshman in high school. (Goddamn, I'm graduating college in a month. Time flies.) Then, I played Time Attacked. After that, I decided that this would be a fun hobby.

Obviously, my journey has turned into a beast of its own, complete with people trying to ruin it all for me. While it has been a fun hobby, I'm looking forward to completing the thing and moving on.

Sonic Brick got me into looking into making games.

KnC got me into game making.

Seeing everyone here and liking Sonic games got me into wanting to make a Sonic Game, eventually designing one.

Excelling at making my own non-Sonic games and being put off by lack of programming skills to make a proper Sonic game at the current standards kept me making personal games.

I like how things worked out.

To tell you the truth, Final Fantasy Sonic X and Sonic RPG (both are games from Newgrounds) they gave me the inspiration to start a Sonic fangame. Besides, I wanted to do something awesomesauce to share with the world. That's why. Back in 2004, I got a copy of Klik and Play and everything started.

Because of some reason I've been always wanting to make a game. I bought a book on how to make a game without programming with disc. There was TGF there. I began making some shitty games with it. One day I've found this site in the internet and Damzien's 360 engine was there...

And I was like: "Hey! I can make an awesome Sonic game too!"

Sonic3&K is my favorite game of all time. I played it over a million of times on my SEGA Genesis. So that I started making a fangame... using advance sprites... and Shadow the Hedgehog is in it...

Man, do you guys remember @leX's "Neo Sonic Universe?" That game inspired me way back when I was a freshman in high school. (Goddamn, I'm graduating college in a month. Time flies.) Then, I played Time Attacked. After that, I decided that this would be a fun hobby.

Obviously, my journey has turned into a beast of its own, complete with people trying to ruin it all for me. While it has been a fun hobby, I'm looking forward to completing the thing and moving on.

I'm hopefully graduating in a month myself. If I pass portfolio.

But yeah, I search something on Sonic (might have been SonicCult related), which lead me to EmulationZone, which then I saw 'Sonic Fangames HQ'. Then I was like "OMGZ". Then I asked how to post a screenshot of my game I tired to work on, but Smidge was a ass about it.

I stumbled upon this site back in 2001ish. I liked Sonic, but didn't own and knew I couldn't get a Dreamcast, so I knew I couldn't play any new official games that would come out. I also thought that if I made a good game, I could become wildly popular unlike my real-life self. Ahhh, good old age 9 naivety.

As a kid, i used to draw a ton of comics. Tons of them, everyday in class. ___k my schoolwork, i just wanted to draw my own characters beating the snot of of eachother and creatures, navigating awesome dungeons and creative traps, most likely inspired by whatever episode of DBZ i had watched the previous day, or whatever game NES or Sega Genesis game i recently had spammed.

I really forgot how i stumbled across this website, but im pretty positive it had something to do with my love for Sonic Hoaxes back at the Moogle Cavern. (Respect.) This has been my first and only forum im ever active in, except for PSO-World's forum of course.

I came across TGF one day after visiting this website. This was in Elementary school, 4th or 5th grade i believe. 30 day trial period killed me. Luckly (not really) my computer required a windows reinstall, so i was able to use it for another 30 day period before i got my dad to buy it for me for my birthday.

Ive always just tried to make games that reflect the cool comics me and my friends used to make back then. But i seem to have lost a bit of the motivation i had, and im never satisfied with the end product of my game engines, so ive scrapped every neat idea ive ever had.

Im trying to finish what im working on now. It'll be the first game ive ever completed.

Back in the days of the Mega Drive, playing the original Sonic series, I always wanted to make my own Sonic game. Of course, us kids didn't have PCs back then, the closest I could get to my dream was drawing up screenshots of imaginary games on the Mega Drive with Art Alive. Little did I know.

Got my first PC for my birthday in 1998. Got slow dial-up modem internet access in 1999. Got Klik & Play free with a magazine near the end of 1999... and like a lot of newbies, had trouble getting my characters to move, followed by having trouble with my characters falling through the floor, but I learned.

Around March 2000, I started releasing simple South Park platform games to a website called Mr Hat's Hellhole (last time I looked, the website certainly fit that name), making SP games was so easy, I wanted to do something better, like Sonic. Around May 2000, I was trying to make my own Sonic game in KnP called Sonic and the Seven Chaos Worlds, it wasn't very good. I looked to see if I could find any KnP Sonic games made by anyone else, and found a page with a load of Sonic fangames made with Klik products, and playing games like the Sonichaos series, I was in no doubt making my own Sonic game could be done, even though I believed I couldn't match the standards of what I was playing.

I eventually realised the page of Sonic games I found was just one download page of a bigger site, that'll be this one, then. I also started a new attempt at a Sonic KnP game called Sonic: The Fast Revelation, which I kept making for six months. I enjoyed that, I could have kept making levels forever since it was so quick to make new zones for it, but the game was getting massive, so I had to stop somewhere. Sonic: The Fast Revelation was posted up on the site by Rlan on 2nd December 2000, and from there, my presence was known to the people of SFGHQ.

Interesting facts

An SFGer known as Mike (Remember him?) wrote a review of Sonic: The Fast Revelation, with his final words being "For God's sake don't give this guy MMF, us other developers would never get a look in.". Those wise words were ignored.

The most inspirational Sonic fangames I played when I first found SFGHQ's download page were the Sonichaos series, which were of a quality I thought I'd never match, so I was in disbelief when word reached me that Aytac, the creator of those games, started making Sonic Unity as an answer to my Time Attacked.

When Tails Got Bored by Matt the Yak, that game Kulock did to make fun of Sonic fangames, Sonic Ultra, Sonic QTE by Bennetman, TGF Games crap, Aytac's crap, Sonic Robo Blast 1. Honestly, I liked 1 more than 2. Thirdscape. Time Attacked first zone demo. I'm gonna go download Time Attacked and go find me in the first level.

You guys should've kept the demos that were on the site and not accepted more additions because I'm sure there's more that I'm missing.