A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SonicGDK 1.20.109 (along with playable levels inside)

Xaklse

1.00.010 is up!

Changelog:
* Added entry effect slots for types of actors and their related code to SGDKWaterVolume.
* Improved the code called when the pawn stops pushing and the PushableKActor starts to fall.
* Improved the interaction of PushableKActors with water volumes and triggers.
* Updated SGDKPlayerPawn so that it's compatible with AttachToActor Kismet node.
* Added ModifyTurningAbility() function to SGDKPlayerPawn.

- Download links: (requires UDK June 2011):

DepositFiles / FileServe / FileSonic / HotFile / MegaUpload / RapidShare / Uploading / ZShare

Right, well, I think this is a good enough milestone as any to show my work. Feel free to comb through what I've modified! I tried to comment some of what I changed. I understand it's probably super basic and probably a bit bloated, but it works, and at this point in time I am happy with that.

http://blaze.letsvideogame.com/TEMP/SonicGDK-BlazeMod.rar (30.6mb)

Changes implemented------------------------------------------

- While Sonic is in the air, his acceleration is modified to give the player a little more air control.

- Sonic has higher acceleration at lower speeds to make him feel a bit more snappier to control.

- When not in use, Sonic's boost will gradually recharge to 25%. The longer the player refrains from boosting, the faster it recharges.

- While Sonic remains boosting, the boost meter will gradually decrease from 100% energy depletion speed to roughly 25% energy depletion speed (in english: longer boosts use less energy).

- While Boosting, Sonic's top speed is gradually increased up to 125%. When not boosting, this value gets gradually lowered back down to 100%.

- Rings are 15% larger in size to make them more visible in the environment.

- Marginally increased the radius of the homing attack a small amount.

- Increase the distance of Sonic's quickstep by a small amount.

- Extend how long it is before Sonic drowns (felt too short), add mid-point warning "ding".

- Replaces numerous sounds and music

- Changes Speed Shoes music from "shifting pitch of current song up to make it faster" to traditional Sonic Adventure speed shoes music.

Things I'd like to do------------------------------------------------------

- Make it so boosting no longer does damage to enemies.

- Make Sonic slightly magnetic at all times in a very very small radius so that "near miss" rings aren't near misses anymore.

- Redesign the HUD.

- Enable a "cool points" system like Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes had, where you are awarded bonuses for doing impressive things in rapid succession. Make it a bit more granular though; like specific "cool points" for specific actions. Like getting "COOL RING RUSH!" for collecting lots of rings in very quickly, etc.

- Import the Sonic Unleashed/Sonic Generations HD Sonic model, rig it to the Sonic Colors animations?

- Add in real badniks.

- New front-end for choosing maps

- Act clear with score tally

- Replace footstep sounds so Sonic doesn't sound like a 200 pound space marine when he runs/lands (UDK says those files are locked, though?).

Edit: Removed some wording that seemed kind of jerkish to me

If you want badniks, I can import than from Colors.

I was going to say no because I hadn't gotten to that point yet but they might be handy to have around, sure.

Also a note to everyone else: Don't hesitate to provide feedback about how to improve crappy code or the way my gameplay tweaks make you feel - some of the stuff in here is things I've wanted to try out in a 3D Sonic game.

I at least have plans to lower the top speed of Sonic a bit as I bumped up a tad, and that plus the extra speed increase from boosting and Unreal Engine starts to chug a bit when you're tearing through vctf-necropolis at top speed. Just goes to show you why Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations seem to have such low-res textures - that's a lot of data to be streaming in.

Sonic's animation remains locked on his "Mach Run" animation when moving after boosting. His walking, jog and run animations never play again.

This is something that happens in vanilla GDK under certain circumstances - I told Xaklse about it, back before it went open source even. I'm guessing he never tracked down what was causing it.

Maybe it has to do with ResetPhysicsValues(); ? I dunno.

I've been away fro awhile, and I'm new to UDK. I don't see how you install this patch.

1. Install UDK (udk.com)

2. Download the SonicGDK source code, extract it over your UDK install (overwrite existing files)

3. Start Menu, Unreal Development Kit, Tools -> "Unreal Frontend"

4. Scripts -> Full Recompile

5. Download my patch, extract it over your GDK install (overwrite existing files)

6. Unreal Frontend -> Scripts -> Full Recompile

7. Launch "UDK Game" to play.

If you want something besides the default GDK test map, bring down the console with the ~ key and type:

open vctf-necropolis

or

open dm-deck

These are fully detailed Unreal Tournament 3 maps that come with UDK for learning purposes.

Sonic's animation remains locked on his "Mach Run" animation when moving after boosting. His walking, jog and run animations never play again.
Fixed for future update (I hope).
If you want something besides the default GDK test map, bring down the console with the ~ key and type:

open vctf-necropolis

or

open dm-deck

or

open FoliageMap

1.00.016 is up!

Changelog:

• Updated SGDKPlayerPawn again for better compatibility with AttachToActor Kismet node.
  • Fixed a bug which locked Sonic's running animation; it constantly played the "Mach Run" animation.
  • Fixed the speed shoes so that it works better with running on water.
  • Added bCameraRotationOffset to CameraInfo; it improves RelativeOffset mode in CameraPointDefinition.
  • Fixed a bug which caused slow dropped rings to stick to ceiling.
  • Added another check in SGDKMusicManager's Tick().
  • Changed a 2.5D camera of the test map.
  • Added three giant rings which teleport players to other maps.

- Download links: (requires UDK June 2011):

DepositFiles / FileServe / FileSonic / HotFile / MegaUpload / RapidShare / Uploading / ZShare

So here's an updated build of my mods to SonicGDK, merged with Xaklse's most recent version of the engine.

http://blaze.letsvideogame.com/TEMP/udkbuild.7z (38mb)

Changelog:

- While in the air, Sonic's acceleration is modified to give him more air control.

- Sonic has higher acceleration at lower speeds to make him feel a bit more snappier to control.

- When not in use, Sonic's boost will gradually recharge to 25%. The longer the player refrains from boosting, the faster it recharges.

- Longer boosts use less energy over time.

- While boosting, Sonic's top speed is gradually increased up to roughly 125%. When not boosting, this value gets gradually lowered back down to 100%.

- Rings are 15% larger in size to make them more visible in the environment.

- Rings also have larger hitboxes to make them easier to collect.

- Rings recharge boost energy by 1% instead of 0.25%

- 10 Ring item monitors recharge boost energy by 15% instead of 1%

- Increase the distance of Sonic's quickstep by a small amount, decreased the speed the quickstep moves at by a small amount.

- Increased the radius of the homing attack by a small amount.

- Extended how long it is before Sonic drowns (felt too short), add mid-point warning "ding".

- Replaced numerous sound effects with different/higher quality ones.

- Changed Speed Shoes music from "shifting pitch of current song up to make it faster" to traditional Sonic Adventure speed shoes music.

- Super Sonic's light source is no longer mustard yellow and contains trace elements of white (looks better).

- Every dash pad touched will increase Sonic's top speed by 5%, up to roughly 130%. When not touching a dash pad, this value gets gradually lowered back down to 100%.

- Includes Sonic Colors Sonic model and animations ported by StreakThunderstorm.

Known issues:

- If you boost beyond a certain speed, Sonic's walking animation will stop playing (he will transition from a stand still directly in to running).

- Running quickly through very detailed environments can cause framerate problems on lower end systems. This is because Unreal Engine 3 streams all of the textures, models, and other objects in on-the-fly as you move through the level. Because of how fast Sonic moves, it's trying to load more data faster than your system can access, so the framerate suffers. If you ever wondered why the texture resolution in Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations seemed to be so low, this is the reason. Either turn your graphics settings down, build levels with lower resolution assets, or wait a few years for computer hardware to get faster.

Planned features:

- Replace the ring bounce sound

- Add "spinning" sound

- Fix quickstep so it can be done while walking, too.

- Sonic actually spins in to a ball object while rolling/jumping

- Redesign the HUD

- Scoring system

- Lives system

- Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Heroes "style bonuses"

- Swap Sonic Colors model for Sonic Unleashed HD/Sonic Generations model, rig it to Sonic Colors animations

- Tweak ring textures so they don't look so brassy

- Breath countdown when drowning

- Homing attack lock-on crosshairs

- Get real badniks working

- Particle effects (dust when skidding, blue energy when homing attacking and boosting)

- Tweak shield effects

- Goal Ring, Act Clear

- Titlecard

Me and Streak have discussed teaming up to do stuff but we're kind of trying to work out how to go about that.

Also, if you had problems with the last version of this not playing the new sounds, maybe this fixes it? I noticed there's two versions of SonicGDKpackage.upk, and apparently you have to modify them both? I don't even understand, really. This will replace both of them, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

1.00.048 is up!

Changelog:

• Moved underwater wavy distortion camera effect from SGDKHud to SGDKPlayerCamera.
  • Added SpinDashChargeSound/SpinDashReleaseSound and their related code to SGDKPlayerPawnSoundGroup.
  • Modified ActuallyPlayFootstepSound() and PlayLandingSound() of SGDKPlayerPawn so that landing sounds are treated as footsteps.
  • Added splashes for running on water; changed SGDKPlayerPawn and SGDKWaterVolume for that.
  • Removed the "UDK_SEPT_2010" macro.
  • Removed the "Default Camera Distance" message.
  • CalcCamera() of SGDKPlayerPawn now clamps minimum and maximum value of camera FOV.
  • HomingDash and JumpDash now denies player input.
  • Improved the running on water code in CheckSonicPhysics() of SGDKPlayerPawn.
  • Fixed a bug related to speed loss when entering water (bEnteredWater of SGDKPlayerPawn).
  • Revamped the whole SGDKHud with new graphics; it has a default title card too.
  • Minor changes to SGDKPlayerController code.
  • Dead SGDKPlayerPawns uses a fixed camera by default.
  • Added bDropAllRings and its related code to SGDKPlayerPawn.
  • Increased the collision size of RingActors.
  • Adjusted timing of the first StartMusic() call of SGDKMusicManager.
  • Added GetSlopeSpeedBonus() to SGDKPlayerPawn.
  • Changed SGDKPlayerPawn so that its ragdoll doesn't auto-destroy.
  • Changed SGDKPlayerInput so that it behaves better with paused games.
  • Changed StartFire() of SGDKPlayerController so that it doesn't unpause the game.
  • Added SpinDashCancel() to SGDKPlayerPawn.
  • Added DestroyEmeralds() to PawnSonic.
  • Improved AdjustDamage() of the state Transforming of PawnSonic.
  • Added null visual effects to SpinDash of SGDKPlayerPawn.
  • Added null visual effects to special moves of PawnSonic.
  • Changed the end of game level of SGDKGameInfo.
  • Added TurnOff() to SGDKPlayerPawn.
  • Added GameHasEnded() to SGDKPlayerController.
  • Created the SeqAct_EndGame Kismet node.
  • Created the GiantRingActor class and its material.
  • Added DropRings() to SGDKPlayerPawn.
  • Improved explanation of PreviewMesh in EnemySpawnerInfo.
  • Added another giant ring to the test map which ends the game level.

- Download links: (requires UDK June 2011)

DepositFiles / HotFile / MegaUpload / UploadHere / UploadKing

- Screenshots:

43mfQ.png

tAe8g.png

Special thanks go to "The Taxman", the HUD graphics are his.

Yes I could, but what about SonicGDK tutorials? Like i dont know how to put in enemies and springs and rings and stuff like that.

Uh.

That's like saying you know how to make a Sonic level but don't know how to make a Mario level because there's no rings. They're just objects you place in the environment. I literally have 0 knowledge of UnrealEd and it was plainly obvious how to put new stuff in the test map.

Uh.

That's like saying you know how to make a Sonic level but don't know how to make a Mario level because there's no rings. They're just objects you place in the environment. I literally have 0 knowledge of UnrealEd and it was plainly obvious how to put new stuff in the test map.

Well yeah, but i know like nothing about object placement and whatnot. So idk how to actually place a spring in the level. Like is there a button that allows you to bring the spring in the game for you to place or something?

Well yeah, but i know like nothing about object placement and whatnot. So idk how to actually place a spring in the level. Like is there a button that allows you to bring the spring in the game for you to place or something?

Have you ever made a level before? In anything? You have a list of game objects, you drag them from the object list in to the game world. Done.

Besides, if you don't know, learn. Of course you won't know until you actually read about how to do it. Complaining about not knowing doesn't do anybody any good. This is the internet, you can literally learn just about anything by doing a Google search.

I find it kinda funny how people say "I don't know how" before even trying to. I mean, like Blaze has said, everything is pretty obvious on the engine. Open the test map and study how things are done and there you go. There is no secret on it, honestly. I'd never even had any contact with UDK before SonicGDK's release, and now I'm pretty sure that I'd learned amost everything on the engine (Still trying to figure out how the cameras works).

It isn't hard at all, a little bit of will power and some google searches can lead you to almost anywhere.

The "Content Browser" is where all the objects are.

I find it kinda funny how people say "I don't know how" before even trying to. I mean, like Blaze has said, everything is pretty obvious on the engine. Open the test map and study how things are done and there you go. There is no secret on it, honestly. I'd never even had any contact with UDK before SonicGDK's release, and now I'm pretty sure that I'd learned amost everything on the engine (Still trying to figure out how the cameras works).

It isn't hard at all, a little bit of will power and some google searches can lead you to almost anywhere.

I guess you're right. Cause I just searched what I needed in the content browser and found like almost every thing I was looking for (I'm still a newbie though, so yeah I still have to learn the twists and turns of everything.)

I guess you're right. Cause I just searched what I needed in the content browser and found like almost every thing I was looking for (I'm still a newbie though, so yeah I still have to learn the twists and turns of everything.)
That's my point, bro. And newbie or not you can always ask and search, you see, the internet is a giant open book, you can find almost everything that you want on it with just a few clicks.

Don't be shy to ask and if someone is capable of doing it, they'll... At least here, I guess. Just try first doing it by yourself and studying the engine. :-)