A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic CB

Ironrind

Here is the first act of Sonic CB. It still needs a bit of polish, but I could use some help determining the framerate on other computers. My PC clocks between 45 and 52 FPS for this build (on 1P Mode). My PC is an old XP and has a 256MB ATI card. So I'm still optimizing, but I'd like to know what FPS you guys get on average. That would be a big help. Also for some reason, the tiles act up while using my secondary video card.

Any other advice would be good in terms of gameplay, graphics, ect.. The Battle Mode is a WIP, so just know that it can go in any direction. The collision code really needs some love.

cb0x.jpg

Controls:

F1 - Info

F2 - Restart Game

F4 - Toggle-Fullscreen

A - Jump, Slash* (Sonic)

S - Jump, Slash* (Sonic)

D - Jump, Slash* (Sonic)

*Will not work in Battle Mode

Edit: Faster FPS and no key delay.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nyjqom5tzlo

I did a speed run since I'm in a hurry, so I'll just give you my "first impressions":

-I like the level design in the sense that I feel like I missed a path that would've been more rewarding whenever I miss a jump. IE, you get the feeling like you're playing rather than just "holding right";

-There are a lot of clipping issues with the background;

-The spot where the first "blue spring" is launches you either left or right depending where Sonic is facing. This was a bother because I was trying to manually place myself right next to the spring and do a sping dash to reach that rock underneath which it launches you;

-The camera is pretty good;

-My FPS was minimum 48 at one point, but mostly 58-60. (Specs: Core2Duo@2GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce8600GT 512mb).

I seemed to suffer similarly to Hyper Emerson. My average frame rate was 26, which would possibly have been playable if the control inputs didn't manage to gain 3 second delays.

Pentium 4 : 1.8GHz processor : 512MB RAM

ATI Mobility Raedon : 32MB VRAM

32bit Windows XP Pro

The special effects were pleasant though.

Runs fine for me.

4gb ram, 2.33 GHz processor, Radeon X1600 1526mb (wait whut?) No, thats 256mb. My laptops lying to me for whatever reason, I wish my graphics card was that good.

Great game as well. Absolutely love the different zooming in and out effects, dust effects and everything. The badniks hitting the screen is genius as well. I don't like having to push springs around though. But if it is kept in the game, at least allow Sonic to push them much faster. Aside from that, really hope this see's final version.

This game seems to be more of a graphical demonstration than an actual game. It looks great, but there's not much to it. Other than the camera and graphical effects, it's really simplistic. And because of said effects, I can't (and apparently most people share this problem) get a FPS of over 30 most of the time. It's hard to play.

All right, I'll get back to optimizing. I may be able to clear out 25-35% of the tiles. All of the bushes, flowers and trees are seperate and can be merged into clusters. That'll ease the use of memory. The background is made up of 3 spheres(That might have caused the clipping for Cyber Rat). I can allow player the option to remove two of them, but bg will have to loose clouds and atmosphere. And the option of turning off the particle effects. A high/medium/low graphics toggle perhapse.

Nope, the game changes the priority settings to high. Use the task manager to change it back to normal. And Ironrind, never change the priority settings, please xD

Ah, so that's why the keys are delayed. I'll fix that.

the game ran at 50-60 FPS consistently. But there was a Serious noticeable lag from the time I hit jump, to the time sonic jumped, often causing me to break rocks necessary for a path. This control lag happend even while the game was running at a top notch frame rate....the only time the FPS dropped was on that eggman bit...where it droped down to TEN FPS (probably from all of the shading in the clouds.) The hollow tree gimmick has no solid walls, and by jumping into it on accident...I fell through it...and quickly realized you cant die by falling and the bg rotated upside down during this as well. (may want to make it stop at a certain point.

The lack of checkpoints, or any items besides rings made the level quite irritating and honestly made the game play feel a bit lazy. Also there is no recovery time, at all...half the time when I hit the spike balls I just die instantly,..same goes for...every other hazard I encountered.

The visuals are Fantastic, and it runs smooth on my PC as well. The level design isn't half bad either but there's a lot lacking in terms of the actual Game. So far I like what I see, a lot.

Considering the low frame rates other players have received it may not be a bad idea to lower the room speed to 30 and increase Sonic's speed and such.

I'm getting a solid 60FPS.

I'm at some area where there's a spiked ball going around a column and there's some odd flickering on the column. As much as I like the zooming out effect and all that, you really need to make it so that slight adjustments don't cause the camera to start moving away/toward you. Simply tapping the right key causes the camera to move. It becomes slightly annoying- especially when pushing those springs. And it's also what's causing that flickering. Some other weird problems with Sonic/Tails standing in the same spot where you can see one through lines on the other. There's actually quite a few lines on the backdrop tiles- I know it's the tiles because it's on the same tree no matter where it's used. The flickering on that aforementioned column is definitely caused by the camera as it happens elsewhere too and with other objects.

Also, I managed to get caught between one of those blue-grey floating platforms and a spring. There's a part where you hop one one of those and it falls to the ground. And I pushed the spring under it. It starts to fall, catching me between the spring.

PC Specs:

---------

AMD Athlon X2 +5000 (2.61 Ghz) 64 bits (running under Windows XP, lol)

2 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8400 (512 Mb)

The game runs between 55-60 FPS in both modes (windowed and fullscreen), but there's some graphical glitches. Anyway, it's looks great!.

I ave about the same specs

I got got solid 60 FPS.

Amd Athlon 5200+ 2.71 Duo Core

2GB RAM

9600 GSO 768mb

@Scatta

I noticed the flickering happens on some video cards. The depth of the tiles and objects may be too close to each other at some parts and cross over each other. I'll try to figure something out to correct that. Also, I'll lock the camera unless the player reaches a certain speed.

@FGR

I forgot about all about check points. I'll add a couple. I've done some work on a bubble and electric shield, so more items and power-ups are on the way. Will add some recovery time too.

I noticed the flickering happens on some video cards. The depth of the tiles and objects may be too close to each other at some parts and cross over each other. I'll try to figure something out to correct that. Also, I'll lock the camera unless the player reaches a certain speed.

Yes, this is why you can notice in some games that bullet holes, blood splatter, etc are 'floating' a bit off of the surface they're supposed to be on. They purposely have a slight offset to prevent clipping issues from being too close to another surface.