A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sprite's, Movement Perfect, Using Paint

giglamesh

I use MS Paint for Sprites, but i always find, when i copy and paste them from sprite sheets, they are always un-synchronised (as in the character moves up, down, left, or right because of the way i have pasted them in).

Is there anyway to get them perfectly synchronised (i only have MS Paint, and can't really get my hands on any other programs, so it might be difficult)

thanks in advance :smad:

EDIT - I should have been a little clearer, i meant ripping a sprite from a sheet (using MS Paint), and was after a program, where i could re-create the animation for use in MMF2.

The down and dirty way (at least for me) is to have two Paint windows open. Make sure to have the same background color selected in each window, and make sure that the color matches the source's background.

In the second window, use alternating colors, like a checkers board, to create a grid. Make sure that the square can full encompass both your widest sprite and your tallest sprite.

Again, that way's down right nasty, so I don't recommend it.

Try http://www.gimp.org/ .

The down and dirty way (at least for me) is to have two Paint windows open. Make sure to have the same background color selected in each window, and make sure that the color matches the source's background.

In the second window, use alternating colors, like a checkers board, to create a grid. Make sure that the square can full encompass both your widest sprite and your tallest sprite.

Again, that way's down right nasty, so I don't recommend it.

Try http://www.gimp.org/ .

I appreciate the advice as always, but what's that Gimp program do?

I'm going to second Paint.net. Gimp is a bit rough for pixel art. If you want layering though, Gimp is pretty useful for a lot of other things that paint.net can't do, but generally for any kind of pixel art, Paint.net is all you'll ever need while being as simple as it gets. It's like mspaint with layers and stuff.

If you'd rather keep working in mspaint though, let me recommend that you pick a place to put any colors you use so that you can pick them up with the eye dropper tool. If you want to use a new color, check to make sure you don't already have it, and if you don't, then add it to the pallet section before using it. Thats actually a pretty commonly used method... or at least I think it is.

You can try GraphicsGale as well.

http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/

There a free version and a shareware version. The shareware version has:

Supports Windows icon format (*.ico) *

Supports Windows cursor format (*.cur, *.ani) *

Supports animated GIF format *

You can get a free Gif Animator, and I'm sure there's free programs that have save formats for .ico, .cur, and .ani.

Sounds like you're having hot spot issues, make sure the hot spot is placed in the same spot of every sprite. Hot spot should go right in the middle of the sprite if you're using a 360 engine, if not then the middle of the feet work well too.

Ahh i totally understand that now, (wow i REALLY needed that advice). :tgrin:

this is really gonna help me, thank you Rael0505, and indeed everyone else.

:ssmile: