A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SADX PC Sonic to NextGen like Sonic mod (reposted from SNG forums)

Jsonic

Before:After:Based on

Before.bmp:After.bmp:comp.bmp

my question is now dose anyone want to go in and modify the model to sort of match. I know you can't increace the pollys. just change the brows a bit and give the shoes more width and triangular shape twards the bottom. so far I've changed around the SONIC.pvm I wanted to add streaking wind FX to the blue trail effect but I need to know exactly how the animations in SON_EFF.pvm are used. I did the shoe bottom textures by hand. I'd like to know what you think of it's likeness to the official texture. I know of one glitch but I don't know what causes it. when you run really fast, its hard to see but the toe part of sonics shoe turns into a gold band. could just be something with my computer but I'd like to know if my mod cased it or not. Maybe later I'll do the tittle screen. and if anyone help me with the model part with get creadit and also must pack and resend me the new .rar or zip file. I've seen the model modding tutorials but I just don't know what I'm doing well enough to actualy do it. Also if you help, post screen shots.

heres the file

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/56646/Sonic%20The%20Hedgehog%20mod.rar

hope you guys like it. I also don't know if anyone els is doing this. beside my mod is only a small one that applies to sonic alone.

This is what I posted there. (above)

also I didn't get a chance in the first topic to respond to anyone so I'll respond here.

at Azu, I agree

at Epon, not exactly, this is mainly a texture edit not swap.

at SupaChao, I know about the furr testure. if I knew how the SADX body texture was mapped I would try to add the furr texture to it. but I don't know how the texture is mapped to sonic's body.

at Koray, ok I copied the hole thing here. now can it not be closed down so fast this time?

I don't know if SADX would correclty support high moding but anyways. this hole thing started when I saw sonic's shoes in the new game. I though it would be a good chalenge for my texture re-creation skills. then it evolved into a full on hack of sonic. I've gotten as far as I could with the textures. there is SADX model moding tutorials but like I said, I don't know what I'm doing well enough. thats mainly why I'm posting what I have done... to see if anyone wants to help me. I think I did a good job with it so far dispite SADX texture limits. Also I can't just put a hole new model into SADX. you'll see why in the tutorials found here. http://www.sonicstrike.net/users/sadxhacking/index.php?p=tut_download

If you're trying to make it look like the next gen Sonic, make sure you make his height taller.

Not possible. Well.. possible, with ugly outcomes. Initially, you can only change vertexs, not the faces, so he'd be this ugly stretched sonic. He wouldn't look taller, because if you increase the height, he'd look thinner. Increase the width, and youd have Big the hedgehog. I suppose if you wanted to, you could. Also take into consideration the model parts are not linked, so it you increase the height, you will obtain gabs in the legs, and the arms, the hands, the shoes, etc.

You might just have to use a whole new model.

Cant do that. o.o In the future, it should be possible, but currently only vertex changes can be done, so you can't make a new model and input, from what I gather.

From what I can only assume, the largest change that can be done to make it look like the "next gen" sonic involve;

-Removing the gloss, because the next gen isnt glossy.

-...His fur isnt that bright, + add fuzz to the fur, not a solid colour

-With vertex alterations, you can modify the quills to be larger and possibly resemble the ones on NG sonic

-The shoes can be changed with the vertex editing, highlight the first few and just pull them down to resemble the NG sonic shoes.

The thing is, if you change a vertex, stretching that initial area, you ruin the texture's mapping. So say if you change the lenght of the shoe, and make it more triangular, your altering how the texture is mapped to it, it will stretch the textures, or ruin them in some other weird way.

I did a vertex edit to Knuckles claws, changed them to curve down; as a result, the texture got stretched, and it looked hidious.

Altering a vertex, on a textured area spells mess. bluntly with the shoe, its a textured area, you will either pull down the white strap line, or wreck the bottom.

The most similar SADX sonic that resembles the Nextgen sonic, is the origanal dark blue, without gloss. Darken the red on the shoes, keep a black/gray bottom on the shoes, and vertex edit his quills.

Shmaa. o_O

It's ok, but for a real challenge why not edit the existing SADX charcaters into new ones eg. Knuckles as Rouge, Sonic as Blaze, Tails as Wave ect...

Not too sure if it's possible though...

'K, after reading Supa's post I think it's safe to say this is impossible...Darn

For one, point was to copy the shoes, I can restore everything else but I took a lot of time to make make that shoe texture as accurate as posible. this is what I use to guid me in this mod. as far as textures. comp.bmp

also I don't know how to remove the gloss.

edit: fixed board streaching.

If you're trying to make it look like the next gen Sonic, make sure you make his height taller.

Not possible. Well.. possible, with ugly outcomes. Initially, you can only change vertexs, not the faces, so he'd be this ugly stretched sonic. He wouldn't look taller, because if you increase the height, he'd look thinner. Increase the width, and youd have Big the hedgehog. I suppose if you wanted to, you could. Also take into consideration the model parts are not linked, so it you increase the height, you will obtain gabs in the legs, and the arms, the hands, the shoes, etc.

Ah, didn't know that. Sounds like it'll be a pain in the arse to edit that thing.

I found the no gloss, but it looks like it removes any sort of shading altogether. witch leavs only the texture to do shading like FXs. I also tried to add fur like texture but it sucked really bad. and based off the picture I showed ealyer I think the shade of blue I made him looks really good. I also made the eyes darker, but I was going for more realism.

this should be easyer to compair

comp.bmpAfter.bmp

edit: OK can anyone tell me how to moddify the lighting and shading? maybe increase texture rez.

Lighting is a-part of the level; Not sure what triggers its changes.

Texture resolution cannot be increased, because you cannot increase the mapping of the texture, it has to stay the size that it is in the .PVM file

The colour in sonic NG diffs greatly in each screenshot, due to high resolution lighting.

I just wanted to get as close as I could to nextgen sonic within the limits of SADX. I know it can't match it exactly, that was never the point. so the hight will stay as is. I don't think a vertice edit to winden the bottom of the shoes and moddify the eye brows would mess things up too much, and I think my shoe texture is really good for being done from scratch. I used PSP8 to do the shoe texture by the way. now about that glitch I found... it apears to be the shoe belt buckle texture is somehow getting mapped to the toe part of sonic's shoe but I don't understand why. it only happens when hes running really fast.

You did a nice job on the shoes.

Thanks

And besides you can actually do some neat stuff with vertice editing... like this

Metalnopvm.jpg

this was shown in Character Modeling for sonic adventure DX By Dude

Thats simplistic though, and sonic has a low vertex count, so its not easy to customize him in any way >.> Except making him pointy I guess.

And yes, the shoe texture was done nicely, could use a little darkening, IMO. o.o Nice job though.

reshaping the eye brows and widening the botom of the shoes is hardly trying to make him look high poly... I just want him to be a bit more shaped like Sonic The Hedgehog Sonic. I got most of the texture type changes made. If I could do it my self I would, but I don't understand how.

Thanks SupaChao, I'll see about making it darker after I do the title screen. but for now I'm trying to fix SADX itself so it runs correctly. it almost always plays the same music even though I have all the music files needed. ermm, it almost always plays windy vally 1. any thoughts on why?

Huh.. Bad T*rrent file possibly? I got my copy from a friend, so its got its own restrictions (cant run in windowed mode) I wouldnt see why the game would consistantly run one specific music file.

I know by hacking you can cause that o_O ..Dunno how to reverse it. xD

I guess you could always start downloading a torrent for it, while your working on your mod with this copy.

If I can ever get a copy that can use window mode, I can start doing vertex editing again, and if I can ever do that, I'd try and help you out. But for now, mines a fullscreen copy, and if you tab out, it closes the game completely.

Rawr.

I hate to say it, but this project is essentially just a waste of time. You'd have to make a new model with a new skeletal structure (which I'm pretty sure that SADX doesn't even support deforming meshes with skeletal animation). And I'm pretty sure we don't even have a way to put a new model into SADX period.

Didnt I say that?

"You might just have to use a whole new model.

Cant do that. o.o In the future, it should be possible, but currently only vertex changes can be done, so you can't make a new model and input, from what I gather."

Yes, I did say that. :omg:

Currently, all we really can do is alter vertex's and change parts. (ie: give amy sonics head, give tails knuckles head, give ... you get the point)

I found the cause of my problem with the music... almost all the files are the same file with different names. basicly renamed copies of the same track over and over.

could someone pack up theyer working SADX bgm wma files into a zip or rar and send them via PM.