A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

GameMaker Sonic Engines and Misc.

Since it seems near impossible to find the good Game Maker Sonic engines I've made this post and hosted many of the engines on my own site to provide easy access to anyone looking for engines.

Sonic Dash/Xmas Engine

The best engine for GM period. Very smooth and lots of features.

Dash/Xmas was created by Damizean & RougeYoshi and are provided free for use.

Sonic Dash Current(Recommended)

This is the most current form of the Dash includes monitors, shields, parallax, dipping bridges, rings, springs, Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails with S3&K moves and following partner.

Xmas Gift Engine

Similar to the the above engine only less advanced. This engine includes: rings, monitors, parallax, shields, Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails with S3&K moves and following partner.

Sonic Dash Old Engine

This is a very old version of Sonic Dash which has some bugs. I recommend not using this version. That said there are many gimmicks included in this version which can be ported to a newer version without to much trouble. I won't mention them all because there are a lot but its enough to say that it consists of a whole zone which can be played through so everything one would need to do so can be found here even a boss.

Sonic Revival Engine

Sonic Revival Engine Thread

The Sonic Revival Engine 2.0 (Mirror)

This engine was made on top of one of Dami's older engines and is created by Chaos Rush. It has shields, Sonic, Knuckles and Tails and a few other things. Its less advanced then Dash but some may say its easier to use if you don't understand states machines.

Kain's Sonic Engines

Kain's Online Showcase Engines Page

S3&K GM Engine (Mirror)

This is Kain's attempt at a Sonic 3 engine there's a lot of stuff here including spikes, monitors, shields, rings, badniks, and more defiantly worth a look.

cGM Engine (Mirror)

Kain's newest attempt at a Sonic engine has spikes, monitors, rings, Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails, and more. However it is missing a few things such as jump through platforms.

I made mirrors to a few things without permission and if anyone get's mad I'll take them down. I have done this because engines have been known to go MIA and I do not want that to happen anymore. Thanks to everyone that made these great engines. Thanks to DMAshura and RougeYoshi for helping me get all these engines.

Sonic REX Engine

Sonic REX Engine Thread

The Sonic Revival Engine 2.0 (Mirror)

This engine was made on top of one of Dami's older engines similar to the Sonic Revival Engine and is created by Sponick. It probably has more features than any of the other engines including, zoom tubes, swings, moving platforms, Sonic and Tails with Sonic 3 moves, spikes, shields (sonic 3), springs, star posts, 8 way and rotating direction both, and some stuff I'm probably missing. Its really quite a complete engine.

Grid Spatia Indexing (GSI)

GSI is a system made by Damizean that allows you to take objects delete them when they off screen and not in use. GSI is similar to the built in GameMaker deactivation but is much more efficient and can increase performance of your game much more than using GameMaker's deactivation alone. You will find that using GSI is a necessity as levels get bigger and full of more objects that they slow down your game on even some reasonably powered machines. I've included the latest version of GSI along with a example on how to use it below. If you have any questions feel free to ask me (Overbound) as using GSI can be a bit tricky. Keep in mind are if you are using GSI on an object be sure you are not also deactivating it with GameMaker's built in deactivation feature. Second only use GSI on objects that do not move as it detects objects by their coordinates and moving an object makes GSI think it needs to create a new one. Third as GSI deletes objects and then creates them as the come on screen release that the creation code will run again and any variables set before the deactivation will not be saved.

Grid Spatial Indexing 0.15

At the very least you should consider using GSI I know from personal experience that it can increase game speeds by more than 20 FPS.

Damizeans Hydrocity Style 3D Water Example

Just what the title says its a really neat effect. Thanks Dami!

Damizean 3D Water Example

• Like 2

you can remove the stipulations on those resources. they're public domain now. because of my job, i won't be working on Sonic Dash for a while. and even if i do continue in the future, i'll just make all new resources anyway. plus, Dami also doesn't mind if his creations are used for other projects.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Update I added GSI to the list of hosted Game Maker resources. Its not an engine but is very useful if you are developing any kind of game in GM.

This is version 0.15 of GSI which includes a bug fix Dami made this specially for me. I do not believe he as released it else where so even if you are using GSI currently you might want to pick up this new version.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
forgive me, i've probably overlooked something. but is there any reason why the sonic dash engine is going at a sluggish 15fps on my PC? my laptop isn't rubbish.

Sonic Dash engine has some bugs in it, is the most complete one but still has bugs, i think is somewhat related to the level tutorial and how things are done there, maybe you can try using the deactivation object that could improve a little the FPS, also try removing the water from the level that also could be some reason of why is it laging so much.

GameMaker is rather slow to begin with which is why DASH is slow. Using GSI fixes this on any moderately powerful PC. Check and see how fast Time Twisted runs for you and you can expect DASH to run about the same with GSI.

Its also probably worth mentioning that the recommended version of Dash is probably the fastest.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...