A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SADE Engine - A C++ Game Engine

SADE Engine

editor1k.png
2j05.th.png
8z8i.th.png
2zfp.th.png

Engine Features:
Completely scripted objects via Angel Script.
Objects' behaviors are separated into actions and events.

Currently Supports DirectX9 and OpenGL. DirectX 11 coming soon. OpenGLES will be later.

DirectX 11 will replace the DirectX 9 renderer, so WinXP will not be supported!

Supports large images up to 2GB.
It has a basic particle system. I plan to completely redesign it later.
Parallax backgrounds are supported internally.
Drawing is depth sorted allowing for easy layering support.
Supports both bitmap fonts and true type fonts.

The engine supports a variety of audio formats, seamless loop and digital sound processing provided via FMOD Sound System.

Supports multiple input devices, including the Xbox 360 controller. Some sort of binding system is planned.

It has pixel collision using masks optimized with a grid collision filtering technique.
Box2D is currently being integrated into the engine for realistic physics.

Mostly written using cross-platform libraries so it can be easily ported to another OS.
Features a script debugger that works similar to C/C++ debugging. (Currently web-based).

SADE Editor features:
Has an interface similar to Game Maker.
Supports sprites, tilesets, backgrounds, sounds, objects, and maps.
Added the Collision Mask type - no more use of regular objects for collision as you would use in Game Maker.
Added bitmap font support.

[Config File]
renderer: -1 - auto 0 - DirectX9 1 - OpenGL 2 - OpenGLES(Will default to OpenGL on PC)
The rest is straight forward.

Controls:
Arrow keys - movement
Z- Jump
P - Moves back to initial position.

Known Bugs
Animation Bug
Bridge Bug
In some cases the renderer is not reset after the device is lost ( mostly on Windows 7 because of the UAC dialog).
Some sprites and tiles are incorrectly loaded after a device reset.

You may need......
Visual C 2012 End-User Runtime
DirectX End-User Runtime

Link - Current Release: 7.1 (10/04/13)
DOWNLOAD

The physics are based on the Sonic Revival Engine and some object are from the Dash Engine, so credit goes to their creators.

Edited by justin123

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I updated Direct X but whenever I open it up, the window opens with a windows crash message. I'm going assume that its the laptop so I'll give my feedback once I've got my computer back.(Unless you might know whats causing it.)

I downloaded it to make sure that I included the correct files and it runs fine. You shouldn't be having any problems, but I'll test it on another machine and post back later. This shouldn't be an issue, but what operating system are you running?

EDIT:

There is an problem running it. It seems that my dev machine has something that I should be releasing with the program. I'm looking into this and will have an updated version later.

Before I try to test this I have a question.

Is it going to bitch about the new runtimes in Windows 8 (64bit)?

Because a lot of DirectX based games go into crabby-pants mode. (Esp. Sonic Generations)

I'm not sure. Right now I'm having a problem with the engine running on other computers. A heap corruption seems to be the issue, atleast I hope because that's easy to fix. This is hard to debug too since it only happens outside the debugger and while running in compatibility mode. Hopefully it will take less than a day of staring at source code to fix.

I'm not sure. Right now I'm having a problem with the engine running on other computers. A heap corruption seems to be the issue, atleast I hope because that's easy to fix. This is hard to debug too since it only happens outside the debugger and while running in compatibility mode. Hopefully it will take less than a day of staring at source code to fix.

I feel your pain. Used to code Java. Oh my god.

• 4 weeks later...

I posted a new version to address the insta-crash issue. This version ran on my two machines fine without any issues. If you find a bug or have a suggestion post it and I'll address it later. It would also help to post your average FPS and PC specs.

• 4 months later...

A new engine is in the works! I'm changing the structure of the engine a little to allow me a bit more flexibility, being that the last version had so many problems (the code hardened way too fast). Also, I've decided to remove FMOD and go with OpenAL instead because its a lot free-er and it is supported on all of the same platforms as FMOD. If you all have any suggestions of features that I should implement, leave a post and I'll consider them.

• Have Sonic double his spped when he runs uninterrupted.
  • Make it possible for "Tails" to accompany him.
  • If "Tails" is not in, then please ignore that remark.
  • If it is possible, please make this online capable.
  • There are so many fans asking for Co-Op compatibility as in the old Genesis games. Please make it happen.
  • A side story for Amy Rose and Cream the Rabbit (if possible).

• Have Sonic double his spped when he runs uninterrupted.
  • Make it possible for "Tails" to accompany him.
  • If "Tails" is not in, then please ignore that remark.
  • If it is possible, please make this online capable.
  • There are so many fans asking for Co-Op compatibility as in the old Genesis games. Please make it happen.
  • A side story for Amy Rose and Cream the Rabbit (if possible).

These are all good suggestions, though I was only looking for engine features on the C++ side. So I'll have to look into a cross-platform way of doing online multiplayer. The rest can pretty much be scripted.

Pfft! Oh, right. I did imply I'd test this out... Heh.

Just got around to it.

59.997~60.002 Frames/sec

My Laptop:

Windows 8: CP 64-bit

Intel i5 2410M (Quad) @2.53GHz

6GB RAM

Toshiba Satellite E305

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Not shocked at all. I doubt any 2D game/engine is going to be more complex than Dolphin or PCSX2. Both run full speed on pretty high settings.

EDIT: Overall, this looks like a pretty solid engine, especially since it seems like you're coding it from scratch in C++ of all languages.

EDIT2: So it runs DX9? I'd recommend trying to implement DX11 support. But there's no hurry on that.

Pfft! Oh, right. I did imply I'd test this out... Heh.

Just got around to it.

59.997~60.002 Frames/sec

My Laptop:

Windows 8: CP 64-bit

Intel i5 2410M (Quad) @2.53GHz

6GB RAM

Toshiba Satellite E305

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Not shocked at all. I doubt any 2D game/engine is going to be more complex than Dolphin or PCSX2. Both run full speed on pretty high settings.

The real test would be running it on my old Iphone 3G lol.

EDIT: Overall, this looks like a pretty solid engine, especially since it seems like you're coding it from scratch in C++ of all languages.

Well lets be correct, the sonic engine is completely scripted in AngelScript, all the engine does is pretty much collision detection, rendering, and provides the function bindings for AngelScript. Since I haven't implemented a script debugger yet, this setup makes finding bugs hell because I can't yet step through scripts as I could in the C++ code. So there are minor bugs in the engine regarding sonic's physics, for example, try jumping while upside down on the loop.

EDIT2: So it runs DX9? I'd recommend trying to implement DX11 support. But there's no hurry on that.

I originally planned to support only DX9, OpenGL 2.1, and OpenGLES 2, but If I decide to anything advanced in 3D, it would only be wise to implement support for DX11 and OpenGL 3-4 as well. This support will come much later though.

• 1 month later...

Just another update, I'm also doing away with pixel collision in the next build. Instead, I'm integrating collision and physics via Box2D. I've also implemented Moore's Neighborhood contour tracing algorithm into the editor to allow easy conversion of image based collision masks into edge shapes that are compatible with Box2D. So it will be a while until I release another build, but your wait should be well worth it.

• 4 months later...

I thought I should release new build to show that this engine is still making progress. This new version has a revamped object system so that instances can interact with each other more easily (you'll notice the bridge object). It also should use a lot less memory as well. More updates are coming soon!

Edit:

If you run the debug version, It'll ask you to make an firewall exception. This is because the script debugger runs its own local server, so don't be alarmed.

Ran very smoothly. Physics were a bit odd but they are probs being used for testing.

In terms of bugs of this build, when i got to the bridge once, parts of it where missing for a few seconds before appearing from the bottom of the screen. Also, I managed to get Sonic's animations to spaz out somehow (he rotated a bit before running through the rest of his animations before disappearing).

Ran very smoothly. Physics were a bit odd but they are probs being used for testing.

In terms of bugs of this build, when i got to the bridge once, parts of it where missing for a few seconds before appearing from the bottom of the screen. Also, I managed to get Sonic's animations to spaz out somehow (he rotated a bit before running through the rest of his animations before disappearing).

I know about the animation bug, but can you reproduce the bridge bug. I haven't noticed it disappearing before, though it doesn't behave they way I'd like it to anyways.