A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 3D emerald hunt [UPDATED]

Sonic 3D Emerald Hunt

THE GAME IS NOW COMPLETE USE THESE NEW LINKS

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/73800

Sonic 3d Emerald Hunt

sonictemple.jpg

techpic.jpg

doomboss.png

Game description:

search for all seven chaos emeralds in a massive, seemless, fast, and way past cool adventure.

Controls:

Z = jump/jump special

X = spindash

c = character special

Shift = select character

credit for the game engine goes to Deko and a little bit of damizean (ringloss and sprite handeling)

BTW its not easy or short XD

ha ha! total LOL DW! Thanks for the critisism guys I'll attempt to work all those tips into the engine, thanks a lot! I'll be sure to have better (more polite) textures for the ATH special stages.

Also I forgot to mention, somtimes sonic can get stuck in a wall for some reason. (trying hard to work that out) You can push the "R" key to respawn at the starting area w/out losing any emeralds.

Also, I could really use some help with the shadow effects if anyone has ideas to deal with them.

I was gonna say that if you can render to texture, you could run your own calculations to map the shadow to the ground always, or make it a separate sprite thats only mapped to the player's x and y positions, and z to the floor below the player.

The second option sounds like it'd be easier to implement, I have GM7 But I still don't know how to do anything with it, otherwise I'd love to help you with it as I've got a good head for working with 3D (Mode 7 Blue Spheres Example Engine), I'm used to MMF2Dev.

I wish MMF2Dev had a 3D engine like this one.

It has promise. My main concern is that the camera is placed to low making it difficult to see where Sonic is going to land. His turning circle is far too tight aswell. Widen that a bit and don't make it so sensitive as he turns really sharp making it difficult to adjust him at speed.

I am begining a sequal to this as this has revcied many good replies on other sites (however members of this site were the only ones to offer critisism on what to improve)

I have found some more "polite" textures ripped by skylimits

Untitled-1.png

If you are against the idea of a sequal and would rather see progress on ATH please voice that opinion.

Now the Sonic sprite is looking unfortunately pixellated in that screenshot. But the textures work quite nicely, I think!

I was thinking of adding in a sonic model from adventure (where the textures are from) but rigging the model might prove to be difficult

Also I have been trying out a few shading methods but have yet to find one that looks both eye appealing and doesn't slow the game down by a huge amount. GM7 is not very good when it comes to detailed 3D....

If you're willing to learn Python, you might want to consider Blender's Game Engine? http://www.blender.org/ Blender's UI is... idiosyncratic (although they're making real strides with the in-progress 2.50 to make that less so), but it is pretty damned powerful.

Blender is a wonderfull tool but I have already gotten far into the project with GML and would NOT consider a platform switch, however, I may use blender to edit models and such if I feel the need.

• 2 weeks later...