A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[tutorial] How to make genesis style loop tiles

2/19/12 edit: Thread stickied.

--

I notice a lot of inexperienced background artists tend to cut a random hole in a tile they made and call it a loop, but it doesn't look good at all. I made a tutorial showing how to get the right dimensions, and how to make a 3D effect so that one side of the loop appears to go in front of the other.

howtomakeloops.PNG

I hope I was clear enough in my instructions. Feel free to ask any questions.

edit: and forgive the hideousness of the tiles I used. It's old stuff I made years ago that only resurfaced for the purpose of this tutorial.

edit 2: Oh, and if you want the loop to be less vertical and more circular, cut 32 pixels out of the blue circle's height in the very center. You'll also need to make the starting object 224 x 224.

• Like 1

where do i download the blue circle from?

<3 Thanks for this dude, very helpful; I'd rep you but sfghq won't let me. =[

Also, it's nice to know that the tedious part has been simplified thanks to Damizean's tile deformer, hahah.

Yeah, the tedious part actually can be simplified by using Dami's slope tool. You'll still need the blue circle though.

And... where do you download it from? Just copy/paste it out of my tutorial. I originally cut it out from a loop myself.

I just reuploaded the pic with the typo fix (thanks to Blyde for pointing it out)

I originally cut it out from a loop myself.

How do you cut it out from the screen? What kind of scissors do you use?

Very useful tutorial. Blue Frenzy described how to do this in his tutorial too, actually, but this is a little more in-depth. The grass is delicious. And thanks for reminding me about Dami's tile adapt tool...I nearly forgot that thing existed!

• 4 years later...