A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic CB (Prototype 2)

Ironrind

I know that I have a couple of projects on the side, but I like to experiment with different sets of code every once and a while.. just to mix things up. So this won't be a very large project at all..

Sonic CB(Crystal Ball) will entirely take place within a glass sphere. The sphere will maintain a fisheyed effect, rotate and act as if the world is inside. For this act, I want to mimic a shaken snow globe, but other zones might include rain, dust storms and other gimmicks that will visually and conceptually set them apart.

Maybe after death, I'll have the globe crack or something.

cb1.png

cb3.png

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n5PYtheRC0

• Like 1

I've downloaded the prototype, but the camera centers to the left of the character, so I can't see where I'm going. I'll just base my opinion on the video.

I really like how each project you have is original. Seriously, you're becoming a favorite of mine on these boards. Spike does make a valid point though, but I still think you should go on with this. Have you tried experimenting with level layers like in Pure Chaotix? They might play interestingly with CB's perspective.

DW, that's fine. Of course, I do not agree and that is my reason for posting it. This is an experiment and it may grow into something better down the line.

I re-centered the camera and added a panning system to show more of the globe depending on which direction you are facing. It might not be much, but it's a little bit easier to see. The stages will have to be dumbed down to compensate for the lack of view by using more tunnels and tubes than enemies and straight-aways.

I may be able to simulate a layered depth with a standard parallax and just stretching the image sizes at times. Multilayers might distort the sky since it's depth is created by the reversed 'face mask' illusion, but I'll definitely mess around with it and see what happens.

It looks neat, but it gave me a headache. I'll have to play it drunk to see what happens.

I'm not sure the concept is entirely useless, but it might be better for a bonus stage rather than a full game. More than a few minutes of this would have me worshipping at the porcelain altar in no time.

I'm not sure the concept is entirely useless, but it might be better for a bonus stage rather than a full game.

I agree with that statement! Your crazy camera plus the bubble cam is very fun to look at but it doesn't make the gameplay all that great. . . Why don't you use this system for a True Chaotix special stage. (I would love to see that!)

I'm not sure the concept is entirely useless, but it might be better for a bonus stage rather than a full game.

That's not a bad idea at all. It could be fitting as it is very 'chaotic' and can easily be merged. I'll give that some more thought after I work out some of the bugs. Much thanks for the critique

DW, you offer no critique nor advice to improve this game, but rather you have decided to consistently offer your sarcasm or outright bashing of every topic that I post. "Boring and stupid" does not help me much. I've become hesitant to post anything at all and I'm not going to pointlessly argue with you if that is what you are aiming for. That would only draw attention away from other members and their topics in this thread. I see no real point in any further posting so I am going to politely ask for this topic to be locked along with "Pure Chaotix" and "Sonic Nebulous" as they are no longer needed.

Thank you all for the comments and good luck with your projects ^_^

DW, you offer no critique nor advice to improve this game, but rather you have decided to consistently offer your sarcasm or outright bashing of every topic that I post. "Boring and stupid" does not help me much. I've become hesitant to post anything at all and I'm not going to pointlessly argue with you if that is what you are aiming for. That would only draw attention away from other members and their topics in this thread. I see no real point in any further posting so I am going to politely ask for this topic to be locked along with "Pure Chaotix" and "Sonic Nebulous" as they are no longer needed.

That sounds like "Sorry guys but DW hates me so I cannot be here any more"

He just said that this idea is not good enough to be separate project and that's all. Everyone here said this so I don't understand why do you blame only him in unconstructive criticizm.

That sounds like "Sorry guys but DW hates me so I cannot be here any more"

He just said that this idea is not good enough to be separate project and that's all. Everyone here said this so I don't understand why do you blame only him in unconstructive criticizm.

That's not really true. Everyone else said things like "I can't see" or "It gives headaches", not just "It's stupid".

I agree with Spike, but I also find it pointless to leave because of one member's opinion (or way of expressing that opinion). Unless you were to have beef with, say, Smidge directly, no other person is really worth leaving for.

It's your call in the end, but I still think you should reconsider...

You're kidding me, right? You're going to leave SFGHQ over a little spat with a man with the reputation of being an asshole at times? Also, "every thread?" From what I've been observing, it's just this one.

Somebody as well liked as yourself should reconsider that choice. If you have a problem with him, you talk to us and we'll address it. You don't have to baaawwww out of the building.

Alright, listen up. I don't dislike your ideas and I don't dislike you. I don't know what you think I'm saying trying to say here, but I generally like your projects and what you do. In this one case, and only in this one case, I think your design decision is just silly. I know you have a theme going what with the viewport trickery and what not, but you are starting to let it define your work too much. That is ALL I'm trying to say. Stick with your guns.

I know I wasn't being tactful, but you need to be aware that I'm just a grumpy jerk who forgoes niceties. DO NOT take anything I say personally.

And your problem here is largely imagined. If you actually reviewed your other topics, you'd realize that I never bash what you do. In fact, here is some of what I've said in your other topics:

Pure Chaotix:

Another unique looking project by Ironrind eh?

Sonic Nebulous 2:

I hate it when people expect an explicit story and can't appreciate an implicit one.

(defending your choice with Sonic Nebulous 1 to not have a storyline with constant dialog and plot)

Then a less positive, but still not particularly offensive post in Sonic 2.5D Prototype:

Presented in diagonal vision? I don't really believe it does anything to enhance the realism involved, but by all means, whatever floats your boat.

Yet largely on the same topic...

Didn't have a post of any kind in your Final Fantasy 7 game topic.

Sonic Nebulous Video:

Um. Wow. It's like a concept made for RAGE with an execution that seems beyond anything I've ever seen.

I'm looking forward to this with great anticipation and apprehension.

Certainly doesn't seem sarcastic or negative to me...

Though you did freak out in that topic when you mistook a joke about Honey (it's an in joke on this board) as a legitimate complaint.

I didn't respond to your other Final Fantasy 7 topic about sprites in any way either...

In your new mecha sonic sprite thread, I jumped someone's ass for saying some crap about how it wasn't mecha sonic or some other garbage... again, certainly not negative towards you.

And...

Switching 3D to 2D Glitch(GM7.0) Didn't respond to that one.

Thats the entire chronology of threads you have made and I didn't see one instance where I was sarcastic or negative about your work. The closest I came to it was questioning a design decision that was just like this one.

Back on this particular topic though... there is a reason I haven't had anything positive to say about this. You are showing a game that has one sole defining feature so far and that defining feature is nothing but an impediment to playing the game. Give me something more to go on and I might be interested, but as a grumpy caustic person, I point it out when something seems completely arbitrary and largely not worth exploring. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Right. Ironrind, you should stay. You've got some badass games and everyone likes you. Everyone has issues with at least one other member. It's nothing to leave over.

Yes there are some jerks on this site that hate every sonic game that isn't exactly like the original games. . .

However the majority of the members here quite enjoy your creativity and uniqueness. Stay Ironwind...I love your games!!