A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic CB (Prototype 2)

Ironrind

Can we all make out instead D:!?

Errm. Um. I mean...

Awesome looking project. I can see (from watching the video) how it'd be a real pain to play an entire game through with 2D sprites, but definitely a cool piece of work I'm sure you can fit in with your other projects. I think the idea of making it a special stage would be quite clever if you can pull it off nicely without it becoming too confusing to play =)

Ironrind, are you seriously going to leave over this? If you read my post in your True Chaotix thread, you'll know I absolutely love your games, and I love that you're one of our more productive members. However, I had to give you my honest opinion on this new project. It offers nothing innovative - as DW said, it's only an impediment, and I can't see it enhancing gameplay in any way. Maybe you have ideas you have yet to show, but right now, I can't see it. I probably should have been more tactful, but I didn't expect you would be so offended. I only offer criticism so you can improve.

You can leave if you really want to, but I know I'll miss seeing updates on True Chaotix. I hope you reconsider.

Wow, I never realized that I would get this sort of response. My decision to leave also has to do with me wanting to try something new. I have a lot of ideas and most of which may or may not work in terms of a Sonic fan game. One thing that I enjoy most is to break the norm and reevlaute what makes a game work. Some ideas will be good and others will become nothing more than complete train wrecks, but the motivation behind every one of my projects is to either create something completely new or to challenge myself and attempt to recreate what is in my head. That's the is the sole reason for my games.

DW, you have been a thorn in my side ever since I joined..lol. I see where you are coming from but, I wish you'd had just stated what you say in this qoute:

You are showing a game that has one sole defining feature so far and that defining feature is nothing but an impediment to playing the game. Give me something more to go on and I might be interested

That gets the point across just fine.

Being that my projects will likely be futher from the norm from this point on, I'll likely just be posting on youtube =P and I hope I didn't come across as being bitter about the comments, that is not at all the case.

Am I on crazy pills or something? I have no idea where you are coming from on this whole apparently long-held emotional trauma that I've aparently dealt to you. I've reviewed almost every post you've made, and I have found so few responses from myself none that seem in any way offensive that it's staggering and just plain hurting my brain.

I think the idea is neat. just needs some improvements. Like if possible, Make the fish-eye lens effect just that, but big enough to cover the screen so its not such a narrow point of view. the idea behind the effect in Xtreme as far as I under stand is to get a higher FOV into a normal screen rez like 640x480 or what ever the Sega Saturn had.

Like this maybe?

Sorry if this stretches the boards.

Example%201.png

I'd like to see if that improves anything.

It just dawned on me today why DW said what he said. XD

Sonic:CB = Sonic: Crystal Ball

Still though, you can start the stage zoomed out and zoom in for better visibility, then zoom back out during or after the score screen. Or make it a user controlled function.

• 2 months later...

Hello SFGHQ,

First, I'd like to offer my apology to the community for throwing my hands up and just walking away. I really owe a lot to you guys for what I have learned in fan-gaming and GM programming thus far. It doesn't make any sense for me to isolate myself from those who share the same interests and passion for this stuff as I do.

I realize that it is senseless to take anything to heart, after all, we are all here to have fun ^_^ I'd like to continue to share my ideas with this community if that is OK, and I hope that no bitterness will remain.

SAGE 09, is very close and I have much to offer. "Sonic Nebulous" and "Pure Chaotix" for sure. Sonic CB is a maybe, depending on what little time I have left.

As for CB, I have continued to progress:

Screenshots:

cb1-1.png

cb2-1.png

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixMwqN4lNdk

You're getting a much better effect with the background looking like it's 'wrapping the world' rather than with the crystal ball. So far, it looks like this will be your eye-candy project. Since I can't say much based off the video other than that it's visually good, I'll wait for a demo to criticize the gameplay.

On a side note, is the green box 'pushable' or do you need to use that mid-air swirl to move it? Since it can get annoying after a while to hit the box properly.

Man, this is so crazy it's ridiculous... I love what I see.

Just make sure you find ways to make the gameplay fun... you have all these awesome visual effects going on, but I haven't seen much with gameplay yet! It has to be more than just eye candy.

Eye candy certainly helps though :awink: Keep up the great work! Glad to hear you didn't leave us for good. Hope you have something for SAGE.

I'll wait for a demo to criticize the gameplay.
How lovely!

Haha, what is funny though is that I've just seem these videos today on youtube, in before seem the topic.

All I have to say is that everything is simply amazing from what I've seem so far.

cyborg_ar: xD

Cyber Rat:

Yep, The box will be pushable just as soon as I add the pushing sprites for Sonic. Slashing is just faster and can be used to knock it into the air. I'll release a tech demo early since I am always curious to know your thoughts, Cyber Rat.

Rael:

Yes, I like to start with a little eye just to keep me the more inspired, but still my challenge now is to balance the visuals with the gameplay. I will improve this.

I have a lot to show which is still in the works, but I will post them later rather than try to explain them ^_^

Thanks all.

Basically. A more accurate percentage would be 99.9%.

What is left to be done has to do with testing, code optimizing, and fully removing elements of the game that I've decide to just cut out. I am going to release it complete at SAGE 09.

Duuude. The second prototype looks absolutely fantastic! I can't quite put my finger on what game it reminds me of though (not Sonic Xtreme). The camera definitely reminds me of some other game for sure...

Maybe I'm just tired and making stuff up in my head, that could be it too. Cool work though =D

Today I had a chance to work in another element which is the 'crumbling wall'. Once the wall has been broken, you can continue to slash at the bits(Just for fun of course). Also, no hurt system has been added. So for the time being, the player is invincible.

Here is the first engine test for Prototype 2:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mvdtmzzj4md

Edit:

Controls:

F1 - Info

F2 - Restart Game

F4 - Toggle-Fullscreen

D - Jump, Slash(Air)

S - Boost(Air)