A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Rawr makes music and the artz

Rawr

I kind of liked how it was downward too a bit, but I will go with whatever people want to see more. I can always change it back or find a good spot in between, maybe make it go downward still but just not as long as it was before. Thanks!

Possibly. I sorta just threw him in there to maybe see how it'd look. I can always tweak things a bit further down the road =). It might also be where I placed him in the Eggmobile as well, maybe I have him too far forward.

Man, I actually thought Sonic's spines looked way better before Spike changed it. It was a little less generic for genesis-esque sprites. If you like it better this way though, go ahead and keep it. I definitely like the other fixes.

TBH I thought the spike was like that out of style more than anything, and to me it looked just fine.

That is typically how I usually end up drawing them, I never was able to draw all the quills entirely perfect. So I guess I'll revert them back to how they were before and then keep the other fixes then! Thanks a lot for the input, I'll post some updated with the most up to date fixes then tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

copypaste from somewhere else, but I've been working on my own music again. Be warned, some of it is probably just emo and shite but whatever xD. It also sucks, so don't go in expecting much. Vocals are all rough passes for most of it. Perfect World is my fave one, since it is a cover of a song from a band I really like.

Attack's screaming chorus fails since I'm going to re-do it, but it was the thousandth take of it pretty much so by that point my voice was completely shot.

---

Okay...my EP is getting there guys.

I'll just put a link to the stuff I have demo'd up, there is PROBLEMS in most of them (such as Untitled having the synth go out of sync half way through). Keep in mind this is all really rough, and there are some with no vocals. Alone and War have finished vocals, whereas The Only One and Attack are both unfinished vocally (guitarwise for Attack too, since I am changing the chords since I used the same chords I used in Test Song B, which I made a long time ago and I still love).

Here they are for easy access (not in actual tracklisting order):

Edit: Scrapped stuff...so uhh, no tracklisting haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on the walk cycle to my Knuckles sprite, it is taking a while though haha. It is much different than working with actual paper and whatever, doing a walk cycle in paint is hard xD.

Anyway, I'll show that whenever I get it done. Right now I've been back on a musical kick. Gonna axe out a lot of the stuff posted above in favor of some newer stuff that I think is kicking the crap out of some of the stuff above.

Tell Me (tentative title)

Mistakes aplenty in the guitaring there, but it was a first go at it. I wanted to record it down so I wouldn't forget it.

Worry (tentative title)

Same goes here.

And just for kicks I did this the other day, gonna extend it sometime:

Sonic 3 Credits cover

Enjoy I guess =O

• 2 months later...

Well, in between working on my Sonic animation at school (which I've got roughly 30 seconds done now!) I had been working more on my music stuff. I cut out a lot of the crap above and kept working on new stuff...

Unfortunately my computer died not too long ago so I have a lot of unfinished stuff that I just cannot work on now =(. I shall link you to some of the more finished stuff that I had uploaded prior to the death of my computer. Keep in mind that these vocals here are really rough and were going to get a much-needed re-recording. Can't do that now though sadly...

So uhh, here are a few tracks. Some will have vocals that are unfinished, some I didn't even get to the vocal stage yet.

"Bones" Demo

That was just a temporary name for it. Gonna change it once I finish writing the lyrics.

"The Ska Song"/"Temporary" final version

Everything in there is final except for the vocals, which are extremely rough. The lyrics are getting reworked in places. Vocal errors abound in there too, but you may recognize that song if you listened to any of the stuff from the first page. I re-did it =). I like this version better, mainly because I've been using ezDrummer for the drums. Which I think I need to raise the volume of, hard to tell on these laptop speakers. Lyrics are really in need of work especially after the first chorus there, I just didn't have any good ones at the time and I wanted to get something down. Vocals are really rough/terrible xD;

"Silent City" Demo

Vocals are in need of MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR re-working here. That was my first take at the vocals anyway. This song I wish I had more time to work on =(. I don't know why I wrote it either, I was listening to a lot of Cancer Bats though at that moment in time so chances are thats why haha, seeing as its a pretty Cancer Bats inspired song. Random solo near the end ftw, it completely blows and thats probably why I'll just keep it in. I never wrote a proper solo for it.

An old Swing Life Away cover I did back in 2006

A cover of a Rise Against song I did three years ago rofl. It holds its place in my heart though, I did it for a couple people that meant a lot to me =).

As for my sprite, probably can't finish my Knuckles sprite anytime soon. This isn't my laptop that I'm on right now and chances are I dunno how much time I'd get on it during the week.

Enjoy I guess, I know that I've got a lot of improving to do musically. I do it mainly as a hobby though =)

• 1 month later...

spritesstuff-1.png

I tweaked the shape of Knuckles' head, it bugged me before so I fixed it. I also sprited Shade because I think she is a cool character, that and I was bored and a little ticked because I realized I didn't upload the finished walk-cycle I had for Knuckles' sprite before my comp died. Oh well, I got a sprite I'm happy with out of it anyway. I rather like how it came out, the eyes were the toughest part.

Sometime over the next few weeks, and definitely during summer I'll start cracking down on some sprite work. Since I can do it in paint, I can do it on any computer I guess.

Edit: Oh wups...photobucket or something is being lame. Hold on, I'll fix that.

Indeed, I mentioned that on another page I think xD. I just didn't feel like going back to change it yet.

It does look more awkward the more I look at it too haha. Maybe when I'm spriting again I'll fix that up =)

• 1 month later...

I've been uhm...up to stuff. My computer randomly decided to work again after a power surge. I have no clue why, it wouldn't even BOOT before. Whatever though, still working on stuff anyway! I forget where my fangame topic went and I'm too lazy to go look...besides, I don't know if these would count as an update anyway. I also have to try and implement this after, among other things. I just want to get all my graphics out of the way first!

So here are some cutscene graphics. I'll make other art for major cutscene pieces eventually (when I figure out the story). It won't be epic or nothing, I want to put a bit of humor in it, but I want to make the presentation values higher since I suck at coding and I'll probably end up changing the world's engine very little. I'm more of a graphics guy ^^;

CUTSCENEARTTHINKSHOCK.png

His thinking expression and shock expression. I like the shocked one, it makes me lol.

CUTSCENEARTBATTLEGENERALS.png

His 'battle' art. Probably would show up before a boss battle or something, or when he is really angry. The other ones are just general expressions, same pose but different face.

I also wouldn't count these as 'sprites' per say, I drew the art out first and then colored it in...and then saturated the hell out of them to get a certain look I was going for. Then I just corrected a few things. I just wanted to try and make it seem like the art got ported in haha. Textbox isn't what it'll look like in the game or anything either.

Now to work on Eggman and another character's artwork.

• Like 2

I really dig the character art for Knuckles, it has great character and expression.

The sprites are good too, at first glance they looked okay but looking at it more they are really good. The shading style is what threw me at first since it makes some areas look flat, like Robotnik's shirt.

Very cool, a Shade sprite. You proven to be a great artist, animator and spriter. Rep+

Thanks! Glad you like the stuff =). Yes though, I think Shade is pretty cool to be honest ^^

I liked your sprite and your battle art. Reminds me Sonic Underground... a bit.

Thanks! I don't really think it reminds me of Underground, a friend of mine said it reminded him of the screensaver xD

I really dig the character art for Knuckles, it has great character and expression.

The sprites are good too, at first glance they looked okay but looking at it more they are really good. The shading style is what threw me at first since it makes some areas look flat, like Robotnik's shirt.

Thanks for the comment on Knuckles =D. As for Eggman, yeah...I do have an altered version of the sprite on my sisters laptop actually. I still need to fix it though. I never payed too much attention to his body shading anyway since most of the time he'd be in the Eggmobile and whatnot. Thanks!

Anyway, I've still got a bit of cleanup to do on these, I noticed there are some stray pixels flying about. It shouldn't have happened, but it did for whatever reason xD; Also, the one frame where Eggman is all dark and miscolored a bit is when he gets defeated. Just in case there's a story cutscene after a boss he looks like he actually was defeated and charred and whatnot.

Edit: Cleaned it up a bit.

SPRITESHEETREFERENCEcopyFIX.png

Thanks guys! Glad you like them. Now I'm working on level graphics again for Fleeting Falls (the first stage I started spriting). All the different variations of it are here in the topic somewhere, but I'm starting all over on them again. Once I get those done I'll probably dig out my old fangaming topic and post up some stuff. I also have to program in Shade's moves into world's, although I can imagine that taking a while. Her gameplay will pretty much be standard Sonic fare, but I figured her and Knuckles would each have their own strengths and weaknesses so people will be inclined to switch between them.

=Knuckles=

+Spindash

+Gliding

+Strength Related Abilities (breaking through walls, pulling certain switches)

-Lower jump

=Shade=

+A teleport ability (to get behind certain walls and into new passage ways, maybe even to save yourself from death, this'll probably be hard to implement. It will have a short range though)

+Reflector (can reflect enemy projectile attacks back, good for bosses or just normal enemies. It'll have a recharge bar)

+Higher Jump and Faster Speed (not by much)

- No Spindash! You'd be able to get her rolling once she has some momentum like in Sonic 1, but she is unable to spindash.

I want to limit the abilities. So yeah, once I get the level graphics done up I'll end up working on trying to get her abilities into Worlds (which'll probably be hard, I suck at that stuff). Then once I know I Can program them in, it'll just be character spriting for a while so I can animate both Knuckles and Shade. Then I have to come up with a boss. I can worry about cutscene programming later.

edit:

SCREENCAP.png

Some of the early level graphics. I'll have a variation of each of the blocks that has the shading on it. I still have to do loops, scenery, the purple blocks that you can go through, and moving platforms. Then I just need to create all my background layers (not using the one static waterfall image I had before, you can find it earlier in the topic). Big design change though from the initial concept for Fleeting Falls. I'm giving it a more Echidna-ruins type vibe. Then once I get these done I'll start trying to implement Shade's abilities, and then work on designing the level. THEN I'll start designing a boss for it. It is going to be a more platform heavy level though (all of them will be). This'll be the easiest one though. I'm gonna study some Sonic 3 maps too to see how I should handle some multiple routes, then plan it out on grid paper. I'll also have to pick a day to record my music for the zone too, if not I can always use my crappy demo of it from last year. Each Zone will have its own boss music too (using the same general theme of course). Like I said, I suck on the programming front so I'm putting my all into customizing all the level graphics and character graphics. Some things like the shield effects might stay the same graphics, but all the major things I'll end up changing.

Once I get all the level graphics though and have implemented Shade + got a level design down, I'll dig up my old game topic and begin posting.

• Like 1

Finally, a player character that can't spindash! (though if I count Chaotix, I don't think Charmy could spindash, either) Also, I love the art for the character expressions, especially Robotnik's. You really captured his nastiness in those drawings, while staying true to his look in the 16-bit games. Thumbs up, dude!

Thanks guys! Glad you like them. Now I'm working on level graphics again for Fleeting Falls (the first stage I started spriting). All the different variations of it are here in the topic somewhere, but I'm starting all over on them again. Once I get those done I'll probably dig out my old fangaming topic and post up some stuff. I also have to program in Shade's moves into world's, although I can imagine that taking a while. Her gameplay will pretty much be standard Sonic fare, but I figured her and Knuckles would each have their own strengths and weaknesses so people will be inclined to switch between them.

=Knuckles=

+Spindash

+Gliding

+Strength Related Abilities (breaking through walls, pulling certain switches)

-Lower jump

=Shade=

+A teleport ability (to get behind certain walls and into new passage ways, maybe even to save yourself from death, this'll probably be hard to implement. It will have a short range though)

+Reflector (can reflect enemy projectile attacks back, good for bosses or just normal enemies. It'll have a recharge bar)

+Higher Jump and Faster Speed (not by much)

- No Spindash! You'd be able to get her rolling once she has some momentum like in Sonic 1, but she is unable to spindash.

I want to limit the abilities. So yeah, once I get the level graphics done up I'll end up working on trying to get her abilities into Worlds (which'll probably be hard, I suck at that stuff). Then once I know I Can program them in, it'll just be character spriting for a while so I can animate both Knuckles and Shade. Then I have to come up with a boss. I can worry about cutscene programming later.

edit:

[qimg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/Cloudimus/SCREENCAP.png[/qimg]

Some of the early level graphics. I'll have a variation of each of the blocks that has the shading on it. I still have to do loops, scenery, the purple blocks that you can go through, and moving platforms. Then I just need to create all my background layers (not using the one static waterfall image I had before, you can find it earlier in the topic). Big design change though from the initial concept for Fleeting Falls. I'm giving it a more Echidna-ruins type vibe. Then once I get these done I'll start trying to implement Shade's abilities, and then work on designing the level. THEN I'll start designing a boss for it. It is going to be a more platform heavy level though (all of them will be). This'll be the easiest one though. I'm gonna study some Sonic 3 maps too to see how I should handle some multiple routes, then plan it out on grid paper. I'll also have to pick a day to record my music for the zone too, if not I can always use my crappy demo of it from last year. Each Zone will have its own boss music too (using the same general theme of course). Like I said, I suck on the programming front so I'm putting my all into customizing all the level graphics and character graphics. Some things like the shield effects might stay the same graphics, but all the major things I'll end up changing.

Once I get all the level graphics though and have implemented Shade + got a level design down, I'll dig up my old game topic and begin posting.

Diablohead.

meh.png

I was bored so I quickly slapchopped this together in a couple hours. I think I might work on this some more. Just a design of a protagonist I had made. I'm gonna sprite the villain next. I don't know why this particular shot was above land or anything, since she is some fish girl thing. I'll try and make an underwater one with the evil guy and the super evil jellyfish of doom.

Edit: Sprite isn't finished btw. The feet are bugging me but I'm too tired to properly fix it and shit. I also realized I like to say the word shit when I get tired. One up for me!