A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Random Doodlez Thread 2.0

Serephim

Yeah, dont feel like making my own thread, so ill just try to make another one of these for fun.

If you have a picture you just doodled, want advice on, or just plain want to show off ur skillz, i guess you can stick it in here. I'll continously add my random sketches and stuff to keep the thread alive.

Anyways, #1 for me:

Kerri_Concept_sm.jpg

Feel free too contribute. Be welcome to critique however rough you wish. (within boundries of NOT being a dick)

I draw ppls now... Exclusively.

0225081735.jpg

0225081725.jpg

Also, no more scanner. My old one didn't have any updated drivers for XP64.

Oh yeah. Info on the characters.

First picture. She's the base model. I based her off of an old friend of mine.

I decided to take her and split her into 2 people. I feel as though there are two aspects to a person so I specifically did that with this person. This is for a series I'm working on that I hope to someday put to media so I won't share too much. The girl was split into two sisters. One is Luma Iveli and her twin sister is Umbella Iveli. They are both telekinetic but Umbella is a bit more physically powerful while Luma is more spiritual and psychically powerful. They pretty much function as one. Luma represents light and Umbella represents shadow, darkness or whatever is missing light.

Yes her name is UMBELLA. I did that deliberately so she would be made fun of in the series.

Alright i like just sketched this out of natural impulse to procrastinate on my homework

Reesee_Shirt.jpg

Streak i wish i could color like you so bad.

Aside from this one, a friend forced me to start a kind of "side comic" just so i can show him something "cool" in my spare time. Its pretty neat, i only have 2 characters so far but i may post the first page of the comic tommrow if i finsh it at school.

Edit:

@Rael - Hmm, you think so? looked feminine enough to me. She isnt supposed to be the most gorgeous of females, but she is supposed to be attractive. I guess its because i drew most of her hair behind her, i dunno. (she also has a few face piercings, but you cant really see them. (Nose stud and a medusa piercing.) Basically, i guess what im trying to say is "thats the point", but no she isnt supposed to look like a male in the face.

editedit: oh i see what your talking about. Its just the eyes i think. (but ill never draw a guy with a face that girlish anyway.)

<3 people who DONT draw Anime.

I don't really think of my style as anime anymore. I used to, but people have been telling me that they look like wimpy (no muscles) characters from Marvel comics and stuff. It's true, though. I guess I really noticed.

l_2bb03a6e3fbb0dd8b657263719c90ba8.png

Same guy in two different hairstyles.

People really should start defining the word "anime". The differences in "anime" and "normal art" are so small sometimes that it really isnt worth noting the differences, espically if the differences are only dealing with the way you draw the face/eyes/mouth.

Well, I think more of what he is getting at is the going overboard on making the stylistic aspects look ANIME like Link does, with the overbearing focus on the exaggeration in the style.

I myself prefer correctly proportioned characters anyways, and unless you are watching that crazy chibi or zomg im so cute anime stuff, anime gets pretty damn close to accurate human proportions.

All of the popular anime all have very realistic human proportions. (except the ones like Sailor Moon, where the characters were like Heads sitting on 2 breasts and 7 feet of legs.) Hell, Mashishi Kishimoto (naruto) perhaps has the most realistic manga art style ive ever seen. Unlike most artists his characters actually have facial features that set them apart from one another, instead of being set apart by things such as eye and Hair.

All depends on the artist. I believe most everyone here has a style of drawing that can be pinned to themselves.

Edit: btw when im talking about Kishimoto's art im talking about his actual manga, not the Naruto Anime. I dont really watch the anime much anyway.

I've seen nothing but anime in this thread =/

Sorry then. It's fun to draw, so I will draw it.

So far, Link's stuff is the only true anime stuff that I have seen. Sereph's art looks more like real people than anime now, and what makes mine look like anime? It doesn't have the big, gleamy eyes, there is no little triangular nose, no super-tiny mouth. The only thing similar is that the hair has points.

That drawing of L from Death Note is anime, though. It's fanart.

Link is the only person who uses the "mainstream" anime art style....but the difference is that Link can actually draw.

Although his characters dont use actual human proportions they ARE stylishly proportioned, no more or less than the typical western cartoon style. He can pose his people correctly without them looking distorted, and i actually enjoy reading his comics.

"anime" is starting to become a sterotype. Its like someone looking at my drawing and saying "Dragonball Z". What the fuck does that mean?

I dont understand why people hate japanese art styles. Its no more "cheating" than western art is, unless your reffering to the lackluster animation that plauges some anime, in which case your arguement is invalid because this is america. There are western artists that draw and COMPLETELY ignore human proportions as well, but nobody complains to them about it.

But lets not turn this into a "Western vs Anime/Japan" conversation, please. Besides, nobody on this forum is japanese.

Edit: and spike's art really looks nothing like anime anymore. With that said, i like his style, its really neat looking.

If "Anime style" is considered to be anything with a simplistic, slightly-cartoonish style, but fairly realistic proportions (and not just the cliched huge eye, big head, tiny nose), then I don't see anything wrong with it. Realistic drawings are not easy to mass-produce and most people here would be drawing concepts or ideas for something (video games, comics, etc) that would involve a lot of repeated drawings.

Link is the only person who uses the "mainstream" anime art style....but the difference is that Link can actually draw.

Although his characters dont use actual human proportions they ARE stylishly proportioned, no more or less than the typical western cartoon style. He can pose his people correctly without them looking distorted, and i actually enjoy reading his comics.

:)

I don't see why you guys get so defensive. I never said ANIME SUCKS. I said <3 people who DONT draw Anime. The only reason why I hate the Anime style, and yes, you all have it [i'm not discouting your art. If you're able to make a person look like a person, no matter what proportion, you have my =])is because everybody and their mother tries to copy it, but you seem to not want to be labeled as it. As far as I'm concerened, it's way overdone. No matter what branch of anime you want to call it and say it doesnt look like it at all... It still is. =]

Edit:

You're right. This IS America or whatever. Not Japan. So why draw with a Japanese art style? Oh snap. It's a catch 22.

EDIT II: STFU and more artz plox.