A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sandopolis Zone: is it really THAT bad?

sandopolis_zone_by_cstyler-d38q8ru.jpg

We all know this level.

Often considered "worst part out of 3&K", "too slow", "annoying", "bland", "cheap", among other insults, it's become infamous for one of the most commonly despised levels in the classic Sonic games.

3ReeTi2.png

Now let's actually slow down and think for a second...

Is Sandopolis Zone, the ninth level in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, really that bad?

Let's think about this...

Level Design

Sandopolis Zone is split into two acts like most other levels. The first act takes place outside in the lethal heatstroke of the shifting sands.

Sandopolis.png

Act 2, meanwhile, takes place inside a pyramid Sonic enters after defeating the miniboss. Said pyramid is dark, ancient, abandoned, and haunted by vengeful spirits.

Sonic3%26K_Badnik_Hyudoro.PNG

Both acts of this level are extremely slow in comparison to most other 3&K levels. You know what? I like this. I despise Hydrocity for its automation and the way it always forces you forward; Sandopolis is the total opposite, allowing you to explore and forcing you to feel that amazing sensation of earning your own speed through the rolling mechanic.

There are gimmicks such as pushing blocks to become moving platforms, slides full with quicksand akin to the oil slides in Oil Ocean Zone (Sonic 2), ziplines to hop between two towers, and the famous ghosts in Act 2 which get more vicious as the light dims. These gimmicks are fresh and never seen before or after in the game, providing Sandopolis its own experience.

Music

Sandopolis Zone is often considered to have the blandest music in 3&K... I call nonsense. These two tunes are the only ones from 3&K that actually manage to stick in my head.

These tracks really give me that feeling of being in a wide, open desert with no people or water in sight (Act 1) and that feeling of being trapped inside a large structure, dim and haunted by ghosts (Act 2). 

The only thing the two songs are different from each other is pitch. This, to me, is a positive. It helps you remember that this is indeed the same level, just a section within it when you pass into Act 2.

Atmosphere

sandopolis_zone_by_dantemustdie00-d32la4

Picture done by dantemustdie00 on deviantART

sandopolis_by_fajar2-d4yj2dm.jpg

Picture done by fajar2 on deviantART

sandopolis_act_2_by_ashman718-d4sp5pn.pn

Picture done by ashman718 on deviantART

Sandopolis Zone has arguably the largest change of atmosphere between its two acts. 

Act 1 takes place in an empty, lumid Egyptian-esque desert with ziplining towers, quicksand pools/slides and pyramids.

Meanwhile, Act 2 takes place inside a massive pyramid, dark, ancient, full of murals, abandoned and haunted by evil ghosts named Hyudoro. At the very bottom of said pyramid lies... Eggman's latest attempt to destroy Sonic, the Egg Golem. No, not the SA2 boss. Quite the easy fight, Eggman has hidden his Eggmobile inside an Egyptian statue and is controlling it from the inside. Sonic must smash the statue open to reveal Eggman and land a hit or sometimes even defeat him in one smash of the statue if you can make enough jumps.

Enemies

Sonic3%26K_Badnik_Sandworm.png

The Sandworm is a caterpillar-style badnik that appears submerged in Sandopolis' many quicksand pools before performing a dolphin jump up to the surface, trying to harm Sonic. Like the Caterkiller from Sonic 1, its only weak point is the head, as the spikes on the rest of its body will harm Sonic if he touches them. However, seconds before they perform their jump, a rippling effect is shown in the sand; therefore giving a slight idea of where they are at the point in time.

Rockn.png

Rock'n at first appears to be just a regular rock that Sonic can smash, but when he approaches, BOOM! Rock'n comes to life, revealing a badnik underneath. Rock'n cannot be jumped on to destroy due to the platform above it; instead, you must charge up a spindash to hit the vulnerable lower half of its body. Rock'n is also unable to cause damage to Sonic; although it can squash him against walls by trapping him between it and said wall.

Skorps.png

Often considered the most infamous badnik in all of the classic Sonic games, Skorp is a scorpion-esque badnik that roams Sandopolis Zone, keeping an eye out in case Sonic is approaching. With a ridiculously finnicky hitbox, Skorp is near impossible to avoid; the lengths its ball and chain can stretch to are surreal also. Despite these flaws... I don't really mind the badnik all that much.

Instruction manual description

"No desert has shiftier sands than this treacherous terrain. Play the sands to your advantage. Time your attack on the Skorp just right!"

Overall, I think Sandopolis Zone is an underrated gem of a level that really does deserve more credit than it usually receives. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

I think people over exaggerated with the level as a whole. Act 1, yes, is underrated. I think because that one badnik, Scorp, means serious business thus ending up with Super Sonic being suppressed for a good 2 minutes. I agree that scorp is cheap because of that bullshit "tail and recoil" hitbox, that does get pretty annoying especially when you're on a roll with a good ring count and you want enough to Super Sonic that golem.

Now, ACT 2 on the other hand!

This act is bullshit. Yes it plays slow, yes it gets aggravating. You know I always seem to forget that I pass this stage going into lava reef. It's like halfway into this stage, I loose patience, I just play and just forget where the fuck I am with this game. The asinine tactics that you have to do to keep those ghosts off you is ridiculous, of course once I nab enough rings, it's a non-issue but sometimes I don't have all the super emeralds to pull a hyper sonic and want to nip that in the bud. THIS ZONE HINDERS IT! I am willing to admit this stage is the only, ONLY, ONLY, reason why I use the debug code. I never ever touch that debug code unless I truly need it. Yes I used it constantly in Sonic 2 but here...whoohoohoo...nooo way Tazy. You're using it all night to Get Lucky...

I feel like I should review things for the Sonic United channel.

I liked Act 1 as well, but Jesus Christ man, Act 2 is such a b-tch. No matter how many times I play Act 2, I always end up getting lost with a Time Out because of how monotonous it is it was for me to complete that stage. I really do hate ghost when I don't have any rings because of those f-cking Scorps. I enjoy the tracks, but that doesn't make up for the bullshit you deal with in the stage. And yes Taz, be a reviewer :3

Edit: Nice choices of the images by the way.

Edited by BlurProdOG

All I really have against this zone is the endless slide in act 2, as it is a butthurt if you don't actually know when/where to get off. I think I actually cracked this stage in under 2 minutes once, so I find it very tolerable, and the music is much less forgettable than some of the other S3 & K tracks, such as Hidden Palace. Also, don't mind Skorp, he just likes to flail his spikey balls around (I couldn't resist!).

That slide in Act 2 is all I've got against the level as well. It really hinders me and is the only thing in the classic games that reminds me there's a 10 minute limit on the levels. Not to mention by that point in the game I'm not thinking very clearly (usually out of dread) so I tend to make a ton of careless mistakes and constantly lose my rings. I could honestly really do without Act 2, I don't mind Act 1.

• Like 1